Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3389 of 3432 FirstFirst ... 23892889328933393379338733883389339033913399 ... LastLast
Results 33,881 to 33,890 of 34320
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just for correctness maybe. I thought Long Covid was a clinical label for someone with remaining symptoms relating to Covid more than 6 weeks after a documented infection. Not someone who is merely still putting out bits of dead virus. I do understand that the names and labels of this disease are still finding stability and we are still a way from a full understanding of who is infectious. As you obviously appreciate a PCR test is only looking at the presence of bits of RNA that the testers have deemed suitable to test not the whole RNA strand much less viable virus that can enter cells and reproduce. It does not sound like you have residual symptoms just a residual positive test which was never expected to be used for determining the end of infectivity. But it's what is available.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    Just for correctness maybe. I thought Long Covid was a clinical label for someone with remaining symptoms relating to Covid more than 6 weeks after a documented infection. Not someone who is merely still putting out bits of dead virus. I do understand that the names and labels of this disease are still finding stability and we are still a way from a full understanding of who is infectious. As you obviously appreciate a PCR test is only looking at the presence of bits of RNA that the testers have deemed suitable to test not the whole RNA strand much less viable virus that can enter cells and reproduce. It does not sound like you have residual symptoms just a residual positive test which was never expected to be used for determining the end of infectivity. But it's what is available.
    Thanks Tim!

The term long COVID was what was used by the doc on Saturday but I had the same understanding as you. I still get really really tired at times and just fall asleep randomly. My running abilities are nowhere near what they were pre infection. 48hrs before becoming symptomatic I did a 1/2 marathon in 105mins, or 5min/km, at the end if which, I was not even out of breath or breaking a sweat. On Sunday just gone, I did a 55min 10k (5.5min/km) and could bearly walk through the front door. I was absolutely wiped out. So I think I am still suffering some effects of the infection.

On the advice of a medic, I have started nasal rinses in the hope of flushing any remaining hints of the virus out of my sinuses. Now I know how the waterboarding victims felt
    Last edited by Paulo; 12-01-2021 at 09:13 AM.
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    The term long COVID was what was used by the doc on Saturday but I had the same understanding as you. I still get really really tired at times and just fall asleep randomly. My running abilities are nowhere near what they were pre infection. 48hrs before becoming symptomatic I did a 1/2 marathon in 105mins, or 5min/km, at the end if which, I was not even out of breath or breaking a sweat. On Sunday just gone, I did a 55min 10k (5.5min/km) and could bearly walk through the front door. I was absolutely wiped out. So I think I am still suffering some effects of the infection.

On the advice of a medic, I have started nasal rinses in the hope of flushing any remaining hints of the virus out of my sinuses. Now I know how the waterboarding victims felt
    When I was doing my Open Water practical sessions in Gozo one of the other students had a streaming cold and was using the sea water as a nasal rinse - he passed the course so it must have worked but I am not sure that it is a recommended solution.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    When I was doing my Open Water practical sessions in Gozo one of the other students had a streaming cold and was using the sea water as a nasal rinse - he passed the course so it must have worked but I am not sure that it is a recommended solution.
    Seemingly in some people, the remnants of the infection can be detected with a nasal PCR swab up to 5 or 6 months later. I do not have 5 or 6 months to hang around as I need to pass a PCR test to be able to get a flight back to work.

The hope with the rinses is that it will wash out some of the dead cells that might be sitting in my nose that the PCR is picking up.

None of this would be a problem if airlines understood the limitations of a PCR test. The ones I have spoken to seem to think that "go to a different hoslital for another test" and "if you have a postive PCR that means you have COVID and are infectious". They will not accept any other tests or certifications from doctors. They all seemed to think that a PCR was invented to test for COVID and refuse to acknowledge that they are flawed and have limitations and positive does not mean infectious
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Seemingly in some people, the remnants of the infection can be detected with a nasal PCR swab up to 5 or 6 months later. I do not have 5 or 6 months to hang around as I need to pass a PCR test to be able to get a flight back to work.

The hope with the rinses is that it will wash out some of the dead cells that might be sitting in my nose that the PCR is picking up.

None of this would be a problem if airlines understood the limitations of a PCR test. The ones I have spoken to seem to think that "go to a different hoslital for another test" and "if you have a postive PCR that means you have COVID and are infectious". They will not accept any other tests or certifications from doctors. They all seemed to think that a PCR was invented to test for COVID and refuse to acknowledge that they are flawed and have limitations and positive does not mean infectious
    Airlines are working with what they have got/told to do.
    Not allowed to think outside that box, someone will come up with a million reasons why they are wrong/liable/evil/profiteering/avoiding/breaking protocols..

Computer says no, all boxes ticked.

I would have loved to find out what it was I had Christmas 2019, symptoms are very familiar these days.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Not allowed to think outside that box, someone will come up with a million reasons why they are wrong/liable/evil/profiteering/avoiding/breaking protocols..

I would have loved to find out what it was I had Christmas 2019, symptoms are very familiar these days.
    You are not the only one that has a similar viewpoint on this. There is research (not sure how scientifically valid) that says it might have started in Italy - link.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Two pieces of information about Belper tonight.

First, the Aurora Borealis may be strong enough to be visible from Belper.

Second, the weather forecast for tonight is 100% chance of rain and so 0% chance of seeing said Aurora.

At times I hate this bloody country and this evening is one of those times.
    I know the pain - I bought a cheap telescope in March last year and have barely managed to get any use from it. Either it is too cold to be outside for hours, too wet or I have other plans like family zoom calls. The conjunction with Jupiter and Saturn that was the on of the huge astronomical events of last year - missed it completely due to cloud.

I installed Aurora watch and it seems like the only notifications I get are synced with the weather

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My new word of the day is "Tumblehome".

Every day is a school day during lockdown.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I knew it was something to do with boats but not sure what. Now looked it up. Thanks
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post

I also thought I had it Christmas 2019. I was very very sick and still have a residual cough over 12 months later. However I was able to access serological testing courtesy of my brother in law who was working for Astra Zenica last July. I had a -ve test with no hint of IgG or IgM antibodies but the control bar was present.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke