Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3387 of 3432 FirstFirst ... 23872887328733373377338533863387338833893397 ... LastLast
Results 33,861 to 33,870 of 34320
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Disliked in error. Sorry. There are many people keeping their lights up for longer to help improve their mental well being.
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Back in the early 1970's, we were having problems with one of the big mainframe computers in a customer that I looked after. After a lot of investigation it turned out to be caused by one of the female operators who was wearing nylon underwear and was generating a huge static spike.
    At around the same time some genius specced nylon carpets in the new Manchester University Computer Science Department - the net result was huge belts of static all round. After a few hours sitting on a chair with plastic wheels and working on a terminal walking out of the building you could guarantee an "interesting" spark jump the first time you encountered something earthed.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I used to work with GRP (often called fibre-glass)
    Pulling an item out of a mould created static.
    It was a really good idea not to have your genitals near a metal part of the mould.................
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    At around the same time some genius specced nylon carpets in the new Manchester University Computer Science Department - the net result was huge belts of static all round. After a few hours sitting on a chair with plastic wheels and working on a terminal walking out of the building you could guarantee an "interesting" spark jump the first time you encountered something earthed.
    UMRCC (University of Manchester Regional Computer Centre) was the customer I was looking after.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Somewhere around lunchtime today, someone started pounding on the back door, ignoring the huge cardboard sign with 'doorbell' and a big arrow on it - luckily I was standing 4 ft away. Opened it to find one of those French and Saunders 'stuff and nonsense' old ladies standing there.
    Old lady: Can I speak to Joanna?
    Me: We don't have a Joanna, sorry.
    Old lady: (trying to peer round me into the kitchen) Of course you do, this is her house!
    Me: I don't think so, we've lived here for 25 years and the lady before wasn't called Joanna. Have you perhaps stopped one house short?
    Old Lady: Don't be ridiculous! I dropped a note through this very door (I don't see how, there's no letterbox) last year and she replied by phone the next day!
    Me:......
    Old Lady: 25 years you say? Are you sure?
    Me: (starting to feel a bit mad) Well yes, what house name are you looking for?
    Old lady: Well if you're just going to be obstructive, I'd better go!
    And she did.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Probably embarrassed at her dementia showing, be nice if you find her wandering around in a few hours or months!
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't know what it is about doorbells but the number of people who insist on banging on the door instead of ringing the bell. We've got a Ring doorbell so it's not as if it is difficult to see especially as there is a big sign beside it warning that they are being recorded.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I like the ones who stand outside two closed doors saying 'hello?' very quietly

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    Somewhere around lunchtime today, someone started pounding on the back door, ignoring the huge cardboard sign with 'doorbell' and a big arrow on it - luckily I was standing 4 ft away. Opened it to find one of those French and Saunders 'stuff and nonsense' old ladies standing there.
    Old lady: Can I speak to Joanna?
    Me: We don't have a Joanna, sorry.
    Old lady: (trying to peer round me into the kitchen) Of course you do, this is her house!
    Me: I don't think so, we've lived here for 25 years and the lady before wasn't called Joanna. Have you perhaps stopped one house short?
    Old Lady: Don't be ridiculous! I dropped a note through this very door (I don't see how, there's no letterbox) last year and she replied by phone the next day!
    Me:......
    Old Lady: 25 years you say? Are you sure?
    Me: (starting to feel a bit mad) Well yes, what house name are you looking for?
    Old lady: Well if you're just going to be obstructive, I'd better go!
    And she did.
    Don't you have a cage you could put her in for a period (hours/days/weeks) till someone comes looking?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don't you have a cage you could put her in for a period (hours/days/weeks) till someone comes looking?
    I'm not sure my licence covers me to taser something that big