Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3622 of 3666 FirstFirst ... 26223122352235723612362036213622362336243632 ... LastLast
Results 36,211 to 36,220 of 36660
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Am I the only one that misread that as guinness?
    What had you been drinking at the time of reading?

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Perhaps they used it to buy a firkin of beer?
    Don't mock. Many craft beers are kept in firkins. 9 gallons, ie a fourth of a barrel (36 gallons) The word probably come from old Dutch. Vierde = fourth ken = kin = relation.

It can also be used as the British Standard Unit Measure of Excess. Normally in pairs. E.g Two firkin hot, two firkin cold etc.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I went for a walk around the Rollright stones today (an ancient circle of big stones.) The guy collecting the money was telling two Swiss girls about how he could feel the energy from the ground being much stronger inside the circle than outside. The girls were looking at each other in funny ways and I could see them thinking the Swiss equivalent of "cuckoo." I wandered off as I do not subscribe to any religious beliefs and this comes into the same category as far as I am concerned.
    Some minutes later the Swiss were still patiently listening to him explaining how ancient people built monuments around areas of power, etc, etc.
    They say you learn something everyday. Todays lesson was about how patient the Swiss are. I already new that there are some strange people amongst us.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I went for a walk around the Rollright stones today (an ancient circle of big stones.) The guy collecting the money...
    The Rollright Stones are free to access. Sounds like this joker wasn't just taking the piss with his earth power nonsense

The western end of the Ridgeway is usually heaving with chancers this time of year. Plenty of people willing to explain the mystery of ley lines and crop circles and druids for a donation to their special cause.

EDIT, just seen the Rollright Trust now charge a quid. ALways been free whenever I've been but it's always been in winter.
    Last edited by notdeadyet; 23-07-2022 at 04:50 PM.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    The Rollright Stones are free to access. Sounds like this joker wasn't just taking the piss with his earth power nonsense

The western end of the Ridgeway is usually heaving with chancers this time of year. Plenty of people willing to explain the mystery of ley lines and crop circles and druids for a donation to their special cause.

EDIT, just seen the Rollright Trust now charge a quid. ALways been free whenever I've been but it's always been in winter.
    The paths are well maintained and there are benches provided. For this I feel a quid is ok.
    Paul.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    The paths are well maintained and there are benches provided. For this I feel a quid is ok.
    It's a lovely site. I've been really lucky the times I've been and had it to myself. It's good that it's being looked after, the shitey woods at Wayland's Smithy is a depressing place.

A quid seems reasonable. Especially compared to the hell-hole that is Stonehenge for 20 quid.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Established TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They are less than an hour away and I haven't visited, might have to after the school holidays

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This internet thing is getting really freaky. I've just received a question from Facebook Shops asking about my experience of visiting a particular shop, a chandlery in Caernarfon, about a month ago. We were there, but I know we didn't buy anything, just popped in to have a look round, so I'm not sure how FB knows. I reject most cookies, etc, and only allow the phone to do locations, as and when I need it.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Over the weekend there was a loud thump/crash as if something had fallen off a shelf or countertop onto the floor. Investigated but found nothing, some minutes later it happened again when I was just outside the utility room and it was obvious it was the gas boiler. Boiler quickly switched off, gas engineer coming on Thursday to investigate............ Fortunately we have a back-up immersion heater for hot water.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    All this week I've been hauling 35 ton concrete support sections from Ilkeston to Chipping Camden near Banbury, which are being used for a tunnel for HS2, and I don't know how I feel about it.

On one hand, being from a heavy engineering background, it's a remarkable project, a bit like Crossrail was, and being fairly hefty these sections are something I haven't carried before. On the other hand, the environmental damage that it's causing, not least of which is the many thousands of tons of concrete that the project is eating up, can't be ignored.

And if the net gain is to arrive in London 10 minutes earlier, at a cost of billions to the good old taxpayer, is it really worth it ???