Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

flooded torch help

i have an old 10w hid salvo and its flooded, seems to have failed at the switch / switch boot and not any noticeable water inside buts contacts are corroded and switch doesnt work, but bulb will strike and light when switch is bypassed so seems bulb, cable and ballast are good, is the battery shot? or any chance i would get away with just a switch and boot replacement?

any help appreciated

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Stick the head in a bowl of water and run the battery to see how long it lasts, recharge and do it again. Any faults with the battery will show up as shorter burn time or no charge.
    Do it outside on a fire proof surface in case it shorts or l-ion may catch fire, if batts ok replace switch and boot or send it to Deep Ideas for servicing.

Won't Mention Miflex. Graham Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Rob Dobson is your friend.

G
    If Eastbourne Had helium.....

Weymouth Old Harbour / Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's a regular fault (due to a design fault - toggle switches should never be tightened up against their shoulder but that's another argument).

I would urge everybody with a Salvo to change the switch every few years as it is not a question of if but when it will break.

Quote Originally Posted by DynaRob on 'another dive forum'

I had a fault like this about a year ago causing a small amount of water ingress and ultimately the wire to the switch corroded. The problem is caused on Salvos by a 'design fault' which stresses the body of the switch (they should have sandwiched the lid between 2 lock nuts) and causes the threaded stem to part company from the body of the switch so effectively the switch is loose in the lid and allows limited water ingress. There is not really way around this but I intend to change the switch every 2-3 years (if it lasts that long!). FWIW I got the switch and boot for a few quid from Farnell.

Edit: Found a photos

The mess I had

Cleaned & Repaired

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

flooded torch help

Thats whats happened to my Sartek & the battery has gone