Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My bag of B&Q bits got me hyperoxic and hypercapnic then drowned me! Help!

...Just to get in there first...
    No I'm not dead yet. I have every intention of having a good go though.

It was actually reading Dave Sutton's old site "nobubblediving" that got me interested in these contraptions and I'm currently stockpiling bits for a homebuild. I've had a couple of dives on borrowed units and my first step is going to be some pure O2 shore diving on a ray.

So far I've got some gert lumps of ally, a load of fag packet drawings and a bench full of bits of wire and LCD display. Some order may or may not arise out of all this lot and almost certainly by the time I'm done I might as well have bought one, but oh well it's all about the journey :-P

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I sort of re-built an IDA-71. lots of step by step pics and info i can supply if required. Tecme was my best source as has been the case for many others. Good move using it as pure O2 to start with. Its Dave Suttons site that got me the bug. Wish he hadnt taken it down. He's over at CCR xplorers.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yep I'm on there too.

You can still access all the old site on archive.org
    try that
    http://web.archive.org/web/201101021...m/teardown.htm

Do you dive yours regularly or were you the chap who was selling the one that was painted black?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    thanks for the link. glad its still accesible. great site and taught me tons. yes, mine was black and it whisked its way across the sea to ireland like a demented set of eilean pipes.

Closed Account: User Requested nickb's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I like to fettle, probably more than most, but I'm as interested in building my own rebreather as I am in building my own car.

I couldn't build anything as good as my JJ so why would I bother?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    fair enough. i've got it out of my system now anyway. wanted to have a fettle, a rummage, a thrust and a lunge and now i have. i enjoyed building (re-building really) and it taught me a lot, if nothing but knowing your NPT's from your BSP's and JIC's!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Duncan has built a few - he's around on this forum now too. Seem to remember RS (possibly JV) making a small unit about the size of a large mug of coffee, if I come across the pics again I'll post a link to them.
    Like Cave Diving? - see www.fb.me/CaveDivingFilms
    A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    I like to fettle, probably more than most, but I'm as interested in building my own rebreather as I am in building my own car.

I couldn't build anything as good as my JJ so why would I bother?
    Well, because I want to really.

For similar money (I'm not loaded by any stretch of the imagination) I could probably buy an inspo and just go dive it, but I don't like tupperware or eCCR. I can probably build one cheaper but I might have spent a bit more on the incidental shite that you don't end up using.

I've got two ideas, not really committed either way yet, one is a JJ/meg with BMCL copy... I've got some limited access to milling machines and such but it's a big chunk of engineered part to get wrong making the head. That would just go on the top of a cylinder machined to suit, I've got an old ally 10 for the purpose. The other idea is to repurpose an IDA 71 but quite differently from how they normally work, not as good a result but I should be able to make all the bits on my baby lathe, and I've always wanted one.

Good thing is the gas add bits and PPO2 displays would be the same either way so I'm cracking on with those in the meantime.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Couple of things. You want to avoid a metal scrubber, as they conduct heat/cold and condensation tends to build up on the inside of them a lot. Warm gas hits cold ally, condenses, sits in the bottom of the scrubber just waiting to get into the lime.

Second thing is that I've got a 3 cell display, one of the originals made by John Routley, that I'd be happy to sell to a good home - PM me if interested, it has a 3-cell P port "donkey dick" adaptor attached to it that fits K1D cells. If nothing else it has got the board and displays that you will need, and all the wiring is done for you. It is also hard as nails and probably good for 100m+ (it did 85m for me with no issue at all, far better than the KISS housings I had after it which are garbage IMO)

Digs.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would also strongly reccomend the Drager FGT scrubber. Really nice design, easily used, contains buckets of lime, very low WOB, lasts forever, and cheap. All the Ray/Atlantis scrubbers I used were average by comparison, and in some cases weren't good enough for deeper diving and wouldn't seal properly.

Digs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast