Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

National Sea Life Centre, do we need it?

Just taken our daughter for a trip to the National Sea Life Centre in Birmingham, was looking forward to it all week and it was nice to see some of the more obscure things I've not seen before.
    Then we got to the large shark tank with the hammerheads, black tips, guitar sharks, turtle and big rays, up until this point I'd been happily taking pics but I just stopped and turned the camera off.
    I've never seen a hammerhead in the wild despite numerous dives looking for them, the sight of them today just saddened me.
    They are confined in a small, dim and dreary environment, I feel a bit guilty for contributing towards the upkeep of the place.
    So, is this kind if place really needed for educational purposes or are we (and the fish) better off without it?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I haven't been to that one, but have yet to see big spp given enough space in an aquarium - they generally end up endlessly circling. This applies to things like jacks as well as sharks. We went to one in Vancouver that seemed very well run and did have plenty of space. Then we went outside to find beluga whales in a tiny pool. They kept encouraging people to follow them over to the gate to open water and looking expectant. Horrible.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Unless it is genuinely being used for scientific study I don't think any of the bigger species should be kept in an aquarium. How can any aquarium compare with the space and freedom of the open sea. I'll also stick my head above the parapet and say that diving with sharks at the Blue Planet should never have been allowed. Yet another example of animals being used for human amusement, it's sickening. Some years ago keeping dolphins in captivity was stopped in this country why is it so different for sharks? Are they not also entitled to be left in the open seas to wander at will.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a black tip approx 5/6 feet long just circling in an open area, just round and round for a good 10 minutes which surely isn't natural behaviour.
    Rays just seems to be stacked on each other like pancakes, barely moving, the clown fish didn't have their inquisitive nature and just swam round slowly :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Crawling in goose s*** wildlifephotog's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's saddening to go to any zoo or aquarium and see species kept in boxes or tanks for us to view. We're reaching that point where we've moved on enough that many of us know its not acceptable, but it will take a while for society to catch up. As divers we have an interest and an important role to play in communicating that there is a better way to see animals - in the wild.

Going for a week's diving with the possibility of a brief glimpse of any species of shark is much better than looking at one through the glass in an aquarium. Fleeting moments with a pod of dolphins at Abu Nuhas is worth a year of watching kidnapped dolphins perform in a tiny pool.

The ones that really boil my blood are displays in shopping centres and the like. There's a horrible trend popping up every year of shopping centres bringing in Humboldt penguins (who live in the wild in warm climates such as South Africa) and putting them on ice as a way of getting people to visit at Christmas.
    Just because we can, doesn't mean we should .....

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I said to the wife that if I wasn't a diver I'd have probably been very impressed, guess it shows how lucky we are to be able to dive :-)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The aquarium in newquay has a few reef sharks and nurse sharks in the main tank, At feeding time the feeder does try to educate the general public about shark finning ect, so they're trying to raise marine awareness there, I'm not sure if the same can be said for the national sea life centre in this post but yes the tank should be a lot bigger and ideally you shouldnt have to have sharks in captivity to raise awareness
    work/play/work/play/work/play

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Just taken our daughter for a trip to the National Sea Life Centre in Birmingham, was looking forward to it all week and it was nice to see some of the more obscure things I've not seen before.
    Then we got to the large shark tank with the hammerheads, black tips, guitar sharks, turtle and big rays, up until this point I'd been happily taking pics but I just stopped and turned the camera off.
    I've never seen a hammerhead in the wild despite numerous dives looking for them, the sight of them today just saddened me.
    They are confined in a small, dim and dreary environment, I feel a bit guilty for contributing towards the upkeep of the place.
    So, is this kind if place really needed for educational purposes or are we (and the fish) better off without it?
    I can't be 100% certain as haven't been to the Birmingham one, but usually the shark that looks like a hammerhead in an aquarium is generally the much smaller bonnethead shark (still part of the hammerhead family). I have really mixed feelings about aquariums. I would obviously far rather see stuff in the wild while I am diving, but the aquariums do a lot for the marine conservation charities and also raise a lot of awareness and educate the masses. I would also rather not see fish that like to swim around a lot in small spaces though. If they keep anything, I would rather it is the slow moving stuff that likes lying about anyway ...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    .....does this make me a bad person for having two (freshwater) aquariums at home? My shark is a smidge smaller than a hammerhead though
    work/play/work/play/work/play

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by smileydiver View Post
    I can't be 100% certain as haven't been to the Birmingham one, but usually the shark that looks like a hammerhead in an aquarium is generally the much smaller bonnethead shark (still part of the hammerhead family). I have really mixed feelings about aquariums. I would obviously far rather see stuff in the wild while I am diving, but the aquariums do a lot for the marine conservation charities and also raise a lot of awareness and educate the masses. I would also rather not see fish that like to swim around a lot in small spaces though. If they keep anything, I would rather it is the slow moving stuff that likes lying about anyway ...
    They were scalloped hammerheads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast