X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weazelz
    captain bendy
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Simon TW
    Steve you don't need heat. I remember my old lecturer explaining Oxygen combustion when I was a lad and it was better than a magic show. He took an oily rag and put it on the bench then he opened the O2 on the welding torch and put it under the rag. Within a minute there was spontaneous combustion
    you do need heat. the source of the ignition was heat caused by adiabatic compression where the high-speed stream of o2 hits the rag. this is why o2 valves should be opened *slowly*, to minimize the speed of the gas flow. o2 doesn't cause things to spontaneously combust without an ignition source

Comment

• SilentDiver
      TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by JPTaylor
      Easier to have a 1L of O2 on unit with a small 1st stage & APD hose & add via MAV with inboard O2 turned off. If you empty that (unlikely) you can open/close inboard O2 whilst on deco which is a lot easier!
      That is the next thing on my list to add to my unit.

Going to have a 1Ltr steel on each side one for suit inflate and one for off-board O2.
      Duct Tape is like "The Force". It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Comment

• Mark Rowe
        Owner @ Divebritain
        • Dec 2012

Oxygen fire. Please read

Easier to have a 1L of O2 on unit with a small 1st stage & APD hose & add via MAV with inboard O2 turned off. If you empty that (unlikely) you can open/close inboard O2 whilst on deco which is a lot easier!
        Agreed but that's not how the manufacture designed it - wonder how many dive their unit as built and have feathering the O2 valve in their bag of "I will fly the unit manually when it breaks" tricks.
        I learnt the skill on my vision course but not sure how much I would use it after seen the pics and remembering to slowly open the valve when underwater.
        Owner at DiveBritain

Comment

• gobfish1
          Last of the Mohicans
          • Jan 2013

i went with a 2l for just that, (My old 1.5 ali for suit feed, is much the same as the 2l , so it seemed to even out ,)
          was going to go with 1l size ,

my thinking was if im going to put a 2nd o2 on may as well go with the 2l, add it to my inboard 3l and iv got a usable amount of oc as well , maybe 800L plus at 6m / 3m , 40 mins no bother. sort of kill two birds with the one stone

id prob call the dive if i had to use the in board valve to keep SP , with 2nd cylinder and MAV, im happy to keep on going ,
          Last edited by gobfish1; 19-03-2013, 07:07 PM.
          None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• Paulo
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by SilentDiver
            That is the next thing on my list to add to my unit.

Going to have a 1Ltr steel on each side one for suit inflate and one for off-board O2.
            I am sure there is a reason not to but .... could you use o2 in your suit inflate (1L, not going to break the bank) and in the event of an O2 issue you could run the unit off of your suit inflate bottle? You are going to ascent straight away anyway so you are only going to be dumping from the suit anyway
            If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• the diving tiler
              Paul
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Paulo
              I am sure there is a reason not to but .... could you use o2 in your suit inflate (1L, not going to break the bank) and in the event of an O2 issue you could run the unit off of your suit inflate bottle? You are going to ascent straight away anyway so you are only going to be dumping from the suit anyway

The is a chap who done this on the Lusitania a couple years back, look it up on the irish tec site think there is a story on it.

Comment

• SoggyBottoms
                Charlie
                • Dec 2012

Oxygen fire. Please read

this isn't well thought out chap
                have another think about your idea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                regards, Charlie

charliesez http://tinyurl.com/bjjus8g

Comment

• Paulo
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by the diving tiler
                  The is a chap who done this on the Lusitania a couple years back, look it up on the irish tec site think there is a story on it.
                  thought that the reason behind that was to do with a chemical heating pack he as using to stay warm?
                  If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• the diving tiler
                    Paul
                    • Dec 2012

thought that the reason behind that was to do with a chemical heating pack he as using to stay warm?

And I think 60% o2 plumbed into the suit

Comment

• DiverMike
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

I'm thinking of having off board O2 like suggested. Is 1l enough? I'm thinking steel as my Ali suit 1.5l inflate bottle is huge.
                      Member of Ilfracombe and North Devon Sub Aqua Club - BSAC 0086
                      Why not take a look at my photos? Or my video

Comment

• JPTaylor
                        Closed Account
                        • Dec 2012

Oxygen fire. Please read

Most dives I use 50 bar from a 3L, so 150 bar of O2. Most is used during the ascent, to maintain SP. So a 1L @ 200 bar should to enough & you still have access to O2 left in in-board via feathering valve. Doing O2 RB this was isn't that bad, that's how basic military O2 sets work!

You can also use your deco bailout to drive unit at depth if suitable hose fitted, even 50%.
                        Last edited by JPTaylor; 19-03-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• gobfish1
                          Last of the Mohicans
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by DiverMike
                          I'm thinking of having off board O2 like suggested. Is 1l enough? I'm thinking steel as my Ali suit 1.5l inflate bottle is huge.
                          to run your breather/ bail out , Yes , to run a 3hr dive i norm use 50 to 80 bar ,, but i do piss away a fair bit of o2 whan on deco and comming up from 21m

on a 1l id need to keep my eye on it, (IF id started to use it at the beginng of my dive ,)
                          Last edited by gobfish1; 19-03-2013, 08:13 PM.
                          None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• Major Clanger
                            Purine hurts my feet
                            • Dec 2012

On my Mod 2 and a bit, we had a go at taking the MAV hose from one diver and connecting it to the MAV of their buddy to share O2. Do-able as a last ditch but tricky.
                            GaryL

Comment

• gobfish1
                              Last of the Mohicans
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                              On my Mod 2 and a bit, we had a go at taking the MAV hose from one diver and connecting it to the MAV of their buddy to share O2. Do-able as a last ditch but tricky.
                              id rather not get in to faff mode on a dive , good stocking fillers for mod2, but not for me,
                              None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• Major Clanger
                                Purine hurts my feet
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by gobfish1
                                id rather not get in to faff mode on a dive , good stocking fillers for mod2, but not for me,
                                Me neither gobbers but if it was my only option to get a squirt of the happy juice then what's yours becomes mine
                                GaryL

Comment

Working...