Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Oxygen fire. Please read

I had a shutoff valve on my KISS so that I could shut the oxygen off but everything stayed pressurised. Loads of people told me I was going to kill myself because I wouldn't remember to turn it on. Oh well

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPTaylor View Post
    I have always turned unit on when not wearing it, do everything short of pre-breath. Find it much easier to open valves & generally set-up.
    +1

saves taking it all off when you find a problem

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    [QUOTE=Simon TW;45946]
    One of my former students has had an O2 fire in her unit. Not that it matters but to save all of the questions it was an AP Evolution. She turned on the O2 nice and slow as normal and within seconds it was on fire.

Any chance of finding out from owner or others present what they saw to get an idea of general are on unit where fire started ?

May have all been a bit quick but could be of use.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Was the unit left in the Sun? was it in the Red sea and at high temperature before the O2 turned one as a factor?

The Fox.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    once you've pressurised the unit then theres no further risk of fire?

From beyond the dark side Mister Mike's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You will usually find that the cylinder valve has got stiff to operate . So that when opened by operator it jerks open causes instant pressure rise that heats up the Hp hose as it goes through the restrictor and ignites .It then flames back through the first stage burning out the diaphragm and creating a torch. The sintered filter should stop the cylinder igniting but not for long. So the best way to prevent this is to keep your valves serviced ,keep them clear of contaminants and when opening your valves do it in a controlled way and keep your hand on the tap until full pressure is reached. This way if there is a pop you can close the valve immediately and just have to deal with a black Mark and not the boat catching fire.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

02 fire

Frightening stuff I always turn gasses on do tests pre-breath before kitting up I know why now!!
    Cheers
    Soup Dragon

The artist formerly known as petlowe.... PeterL's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In the picture of the reg, what's the hose that goes into that busted up ferrule, is it the HP or LP as it looks like it went pop?
    Cause or effect?

PL

Owner @ Divebritain
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oxygen fire. Please read

Has a CCR O2 fire occurred under water ever?

As how many CCR divers have done or keep in their bag of skills the ability to drive the unit O2 manually through switching the O2 cylinder on and off under water - Eg for a stuck solenoid
    Understand the need to do it by some to get home but that's what the bailout is meant for too, but to be skilled to do it at depth you must practice.
    Owner at DiveBritain

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rowe View Post
    As how many CCR divers have done or keep in their bag of skills the ability to drive the unit O2 manually through switching the O2 cylinder on and off under water - Eg for a stuck solenoid
    Understand the need to do it by some to get home but that's what the bailout is meant for too, but to be skilled to do it at depth you must practice.
    Easier to have a 1L of O2 on unit with a small 1st stage & APD hose & add via MAV with inboard O2 turned off. If you empty that (unlikely) you can open/close inboard O2 whilst on deco which is a lot easier!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast