Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Scooter for disabled diver - advice required

Hello,

We have someone who is going through pool training just now that lost a leg in active service. He is very comfortable in the water but will require a scooter to improve his mobility and as I have no experience of these I would like to get some recommendations.

I have looked at Bladefish so far (the person's budget is 500) and I do have an offer of an second hand Apollo that will fit this person's budget. Does anybody else know of someone who has a second hand scooter or something else that will fit this person's budget.

Thanks for any help!
    Like Cave Diving? - see www.fb.me/CaveDivingFilms
    A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba

I need to go diving... Intranicity's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Swim gloves are much cheaper, that's what we use. I know that doesn't answer your question, but might be worth suggesting
    Opinions are like assholes, just some smell more than others!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We had someone who used to come over who had no use of her legs (spinal operation went wrong), so hubby towed her around on an Apollo AV-1. It was plenty powerful enough to tow both of them, even in a bit of a current, so for one guy it would be fine.

There is a mod to make to them that makes life a lot easier, you can add a 'tow ring' to the prop shroud, so you don't need to hang on, it pulls the BCD/wing (obviously this is best with something that has a decent crotch strap.

Sorry, I don't know of anyone selling one, but the Apollo you have been offered should do him fine (assuming it is the AV-1, rather than the crazy 'sit on' AV-2 version). Just do a burn test and drop test on the battery, to make sure it is in OK condition.
    Sean

A few more pics - www.arrowpix.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Webbed finger swimming gloves, swim gloves

Maybe of help, even just to get about the pool. Lomo do good stuff, quality will be excellent.

Established TDF Member Rob Dobson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scooter for disabled diver - advice required

It was the spectre of onsetting disability that got me into and ultimately involved with scooters.

Mucking around in a swimming pool wearing a wet suit and using a single cylinder just requires a basic SeaDoo type scooter. These can be bought for peanuts and will be a hoot in a pool.

Beyond that you're looking at the next step up and an old Apollo is just about the entry level. Test the battery and get a good idea of how often the o-rings and shaft seal has been changed.

Gavin's and SLA based SS's could be around twice the stated budget and are too big and heavy to be useful to most disabled divers. An old Echo X-scooter will typically be around 1100 but again I'd get the battery CBA'd.

So for 500 I'd probably go for either a 100 SeaDoo and not take it into the ocean or an Apollo and not push it too far in the salt.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't know much about the cheaper end of the market.

A gavin is a complete non-starter for this. The market is full of 2nd hand ones, and even the short version is a hassle and very heavy on the surface.

It's not an answer to your post, and they are too new to get a 2nd hand one, but the Suex Xjoy2 would be a brilliant machine for this. It is small, light and good to pull a twinset diver. They retail at around ,1300.

Steve

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for the info Steve - I do have an offer for a 2nd hand Apollo (for 500) that was only bought last year.

I have said to the guy (who has the disability) that I thought that buying a decent scooter would probably start off around the 1000+ bracket.

The reality is probably going to be he just uses fin gloves as he still has to get a drysuit etc.

Thanks for all the advice and PMs - it is greatly appreciated.
    A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pegasus Thruster Pegasus Thruster - Underwater Scuba Diver Propulsion Vehicle (DPV) was designed for disabled divers. I have one. It's no good for someone who has no legs because of balance but if he has one leg, I thoroughly recommend it.
    It's nice to be nice and it's nice to use punctuation to add comprehension to a communication.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi Nitnab - thanks a lot, I will pass that on.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No advice from me about which scooter but just a reminder that if he needs a scooter to get there then he needs one to get back. Swimming a scooter wouldn't be fun for him. 500 isn't going to get much.

I'd suggest, buy the gloves for now and save for a better scooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast