Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recommendations for a week in February

I am looking for recommendations for a warm/sunny not too expensive destination for a weeks holiday in mid Feb. next year,
    It would be for me and my non-diving wife, so somewhere with some above water sight-seeing as well as some underwater sight-seeing.

We have been to El Gouna a couple of times but has focused more on my diving than on sight-seeing, we are currently thinking something like the Canary Islands to be a little cheaper, but are open to other suggestions.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Always enjoyed Tenerife - been a couple of times in the early Spring. Plenty to do above water.

Have a look at https://www.atlantic-divers.com/about-us/

Jeff is English.

Also been to Malta lots of times - but they do seem to be becoming more regulated. Lots of history there.
    Last edited by F.P.; 21-11-2022 at 06:52 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by F.P. View Post
    Always enjoyed Tenerife - been a couple of times in the early Spring. Plenty to do above water.

Have a look at https://www.atlantic-divers.com/about-us/

Jeff is English.

Also been to Malta lots of times - but they do seem to be becoming more regulated. Lots of history there.
    Thanks for that, I forgot to say we have also been to Malta a few times and are not long back from 2 weeks there.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Having seen that someone was prosecuted in Malta after their buddy died I will not be diving there.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Definitely avoid Malta if you want warm and sunny in Feb! Well, it will have sunshine for sure, but the water temp ain't gonna be to everyone's liking!

Year round sunshine and warmer temps, I would suggest Lanzarote. Stay in Puerto del Carmen, dive with Safari. They are the only dive centre in the area with direct access to the sea (from their beach centre). 2 dives each day plus boat dives (at no extra cost) and night dives. Non-diving wife can sit on the beach and top up the tan while you get all salty. Plenty of bars and restaurants in the area, and not full of stag/hen parties either. The old town is full of tasty dining options. We've been 3 times and would recommend it.

Underwater there are wrecks, caves and swim throughs, plus plenty of marine life, from seahorses and nudis to massive eagle rays, grouper, barracuda, dolphins and the largest congregation of angel sharks on the planet. Feb is a good time to see them as well.

https://www.safaridiving.com/en/

https://turismolanzarote.com/en/

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    I am looking for recommendations for a warm/sunny not too expensive destination for a weeks holiday in mid Feb. next year,
    It would be for me and my non-diving wife, so somewhere with some above water sight-seeing as well as some underwater sight-seeing.

We have been to El Gouna a couple of times but has focused more on my diving than on sight-seeing, we are currently thinking something like the Canary Islands to be a little cheaper, but are open to other suggestions.
    Some old travel stuff here but you may find something relevant: https://www.thediveforum.com/member....29-Eddie-Clamp

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Malta diving is excellent, I believe the last couple of Februarys has seen decent weather conditions. Albeit not wet suit
    easyJet from Manchester £80 standard return, same money as a taxi from our house to M/C airport and back
    Going back to Malta end of Jan/Feb diving with these guys Techwise St Julianís bay.
    Those who know the Avenue restaurant St Julianís bay.(a diving watering hole) has moved to swanky new premisses near to the Hilton, food good about 35chips main and a beer.
    MrP
    If you Donít take the wife the diving somehow gets better

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidge View Post
    Definitely avoid Malta if you want warm and sunny in Feb! Well, it will have sunshine for sure, but the water temp ain't gonna be to everyone's liking!

Year round sunshine and warmer temps, I would suggest Lanzarote. Stay in Puerto del Carmen, dive with Safari. They are the only dive centre in the area with direct access to the sea (from their beach centre). 2 dives each day plus boat dives (at no extra cost) and night dives. Non-diving wife can sit on the beach and top up the tan while you get all salty. Plenty of bars and restaurants in the area, and not full of stag/hen parties either. The old town is full of tasty dining options. We've been 3 times and would recommend it.

Underwater there are wrecks, caves and swim throughs, plus plenty of marine life, from seahorses and nudis to massive eagle rays, grouper, barracuda, dolphins and the largest congregation of angel sharks on the planet. Feb is a good time to see them as well.

https://www.safaridiving.com/en/

https://turismolanzarote.com/en/
    I second this Safari diving were really good. We took a day out rented a car to sightsee the island. Avoided some of the tourist honeypot sites but effectively went round the island. We stayed in self catering accommodation close to Safari who organised it for us. As nidge says lots of eateries in the old town and it was a lovely walk from the accommodation along the cliff path to get there.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks,
    Will consider Lanzarote, we have been for a week a few years ago but didn't see much of the island and I didn't really dive