Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is the failure that they started off by standing on the bottom?
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't have enough palms or faces to react appropriately to that.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I saw an incident with one guy who was filling his DSMB from his exhaust valve at around 20M, lost his grip on his reel which got pulled up by the DSMB, caught on his DV and dragged it out. He was dragged to the surface with no DV in. When we got back to the boat, he was on O2.

Not surprsied BSAC don't support this method of deploying a DSMB.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    I saw an incident with one guy who was filling his DSMB from his exhaust valve at around 20M, lost his grip on his reel which got pulled up by the DSMB, caught on his DV and dragged it out. He was dragged to the surface with no DV in. When we got back to the boat, he was on O2.

On my OWIC (many years ago!) I did the DSMB lesson and during my demo the AS was snagged by the tape loop on the bottom of my DSMB when I was giving it the beans (in my defence it was the first and only time I have made that particular mistake) with predictable consequences. To add insult to injury I then got to do the same lesson on my subsequent PIE - which fortunately passed without incident.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the last guided dives I went on. This filling from the exhaust was what the guide was doing. Maybe just showing off?

Is using the octopus the suggested BSAC way? or is a small bottle or CO2 cartridge recommended? The last time I deployed a DSMB on a course (Advanced Nitrox). The second regulator on the twinset went into free flow. What do you expect in the middle of winter at Stoney?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    On the last guided dives I went on. This filling from the exhaust was what the guide was doing. Maybe just showing off?

Is using the octopus the suggested BSAC way? or is a small bottle or CO2 cartridge recommended? The last time I deployed a DSMB on a course (Advanced Nitrox). The second regulator on the twinset went into free flow. What do you expect in the middle of winter at Stoney?
    BSAC standard technique is to use the octopus for teaching but crack bottles or CO2 are perfectly acceptable in normal diving. Teaching the use of the octopus to fill means than if using either of the other two methods fails for any reason (forgot to fill the crack bottle or change the CO2 cartdridge), the diver can still deply the DSMB.

Personally, I have a crack bottle and I've used this almost since they were first sold. Overseas, because airlines (or more accurately check-in operations) are a bit funny about compressed gas bottles of any sort (I had a crack bottle confiscated at Boston on a return flight even though I demonstrated that it was empty but had no problems taking it out via Heathrow on the same airline) I use the easyfill adaptor with my otherwise redundant drysuit inflation hose.

I have a dislike of any lines close to equipment where they can get caught up and would never try to fill a DSMB from the exhaust valves. It may look cool but I'd prefer to be safe.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    We teach in water with the octo as everyone has one. We teach in the dry lesson that crack bottle & cartridge DSMBs are options & explain the benefits/drawbacks.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    BSAC standard technique is to use the octopus for teaching but crack bottles or CO2 are perfectly acceptable in normal diving. Teaching the use of the octopus to fill means than if using either of the other two methods fails for any reason (forgot to fill the crack bottle or change the CO2 cartdridge), the diver can still deply the DSMB.

Personally, I have a crack bottle and I've used this almost since they were first sold. Overseas, because airlines (or more accurately check-in operations) are a bit funny about compressed gas bottles of any sort (I had a crack bottle confiscated at Boston on a return flight even though I demonstrated that it was empty but had no problems taking it out via Heathrow on the same airline) I use the easyfill adaptor with my otherwise redundant drysuit inflation hose.

I have a dislike of any lines close to equipment where they can get caught up and would never try to fill a DSMB from the exhaust valves. It may look cool but I'd prefer to be safe.
    Thanks. As most future diving will be on holidays will stick with using the octopus. No crack bottles etc.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilPage View Post
    We teach in water with the octo as everyone has one.
    I appreciate that for training. Do some people still use an Air 2? I had one for a few years when the first stage only had 3 LP ports. Personally I wouldn’t go back to using one.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast