Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would a fast Red Sea Day Boat offering 3 dives per day be of interest?

Am looking at various opportunities out here in the Red Sea, and one possibility is having a 16 metre aluminium catamaran with Hamilton Jet Drives that means the vessel can cruise at 24 knots and can easily reach far flung less visited reefs or use its speed to enable three dives per day, or its dynamic positioning capabilities to position itself for dive sites where there isn't anywhere to anchor so the usual Red Sea boats can't dive - e.g. on the northern/upwind side of reefs on less windy days. Would any of this sort of diving be of interest?

One thing that it will be in the specification is a decent diver lift!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    RIB diving is very hard work. Day boat diving can be hard work. Cruising around on a liveaboard is so much easier and relaxing. Wake up, breakfast (maybe), dive, eat, sleep, dive, repeat.
    I can set my kit up once, leave it alone apart from gas fills and enjoy the rest of the day. So not for me.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSeaDiver View Post
    Am looking at various opportunities out here in the Red Sea, and one possibility is having a 16 metre aluminium catamaran with Hamilton Jet Drives that means the vessel can cruise at 24 knots and can easily reach far flung less visited reefs or use its speed to enable three dives per day, or its dynamic positioning capabilities to position itself for dive sites where there isn't anywhere to anchor so the usual Red Sea boats can't dive - e.g. on the northern/upwind side of reefs on less windy days. Would any of this sort of diving be of interest?

One thing that it will be in the specification is a decent diver lift!
    The speed and range might be of interest if the ride is smooth and the cost isn't sky high. If it's a deafening roar and compacting your spine, less so. 3 dives per day is ok too provided the boat has the facilities for eating, drinking, pissing and shitting plus enough shade to stop roasting. As for the fancy positioning systems, most standard boats can do that using a little rhib or tender, so maybe less of a plus.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No.
    Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    RIB diving is very hard work. Day boat diving can be hard work. Cruising around on a liveaboard is so much easier and relaxing. Wake up, breakfast (maybe), dive, eat, sleep, dive, repeat.
    I can set my kit up once, leave it alone apart from gas fills and enjoy the rest of the day. So not for me.
    The boat will have onboard compressors and will be able to blend trimix onboard.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    The speed and range might be of interest if the ride is smooth and the cost isn't sky high. If it's a deafening roar and compacting your spine, less so. 3 dives per day is ok too provided the boat has the facilities for eating, drinking, pissing and shitting plus enough shade to stop roasting. As for the fancy positioning systems, most standard boats can do that using a little rhib or tender, so maybe less of a plus.
    The ride will be smooth as the boat will be based in Safaga and heading either out to places like Panorama Reef or south to areas that never see divers so will have following winds in the morning and then the winds normally ease off in the afternoon so should be a pretty good cruise back to port. Decent facilities will be available onboard.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    No.
    We realise that it won't suit everyone, so will only have space for 12 divers including guides.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For me no. In the UK I do a lot of RIB diving as it's cheap. I much prefer a big hard boat though. In Egypt my choice would be a liverboard. Somewhere that has lots of room to relax between dives.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSeaDiver View Post
    We realise that it won't suit everyone, so will only have space for 12 divers including guides.
    For me it's a holiday, that means relaxing. I'll miss a dive or three on a hardboat just to rest and offgas more.

I do the RIB thing here in the UK. I might do it for one day on a holiday, but not for a week. I'd need another holiday to recover!
    Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have to say for me I would generally be on a diving holiday so my choice would be liveaboard for a week.

I think the day boat might tempt some who are there for a sightseeing holiday but want a few dives but that wouldn't be my preference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast