Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"O2 Clean Course"?

There used to be someone a few years ago who did an O2 clean course that incidentally and entirely accidentally taught you regulator servicing/set up - I have a vague thought that he was in South Wales but that may just be hallucination - does anyone know who it was and if it still happens?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    There used to be someone a few years ago who did an O2 clean course that incidentally and entirely accidentally taught you regulator servicing/set up - I have a vague thought that he was in South Wales but that may just be hallucination - does anyone know who it was and if it still happens?
    Neil Brock(?)

Bristol Channel Diving??
    Last edited by jamesp; 10-11-2022 at 10:03 AM.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Neil Brock(?)

Bristol Channel Diving??
    That's who I was going to say as well.

Although if it's Apeks regs then the manuals are "good enough" (your tolerance of risk may vary) and there are O2 service kits available (although I've never gone any fancier than O2 clean and O2 compatible lube). If I remember right the older manual versions offered workarounds for anyone who didn't have access to a professional workshop and test equipment for setting them up properly. That's how I learned. Admittedly you are taking a flyer on getting it right but if you can't find anywhere to show you then it's a workable alternative. It's a Haynes 3 spanner rating at worst. If you can change brake pads you can service an Apeks reg (if you can do brake shoes then this is a piece of piss). There is also Youtube. Might work for other regs as well, I couldn't say as I've never really used anything else.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Neil Brock(?)

Bristol Channel Diving??
    Could well be - I was thinking somewhere down the M4!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    Yes, in Cardiff. It looks like the courses are still on offer and the one you want is the 'TDI O2 Service Technician Course'.

https://www.bristolchanneldiving.co.uk/training

It did it some years ago and I took along a whole box of Apeks regulators (I have too many!) and serviced the lot of them. The TDI card I received was

'Equipment O2 service technician: Qualified to service scuba regulators, cylinders, valves, and manifolds for use with enriched air nitrox and other technical mixed gasses.'