Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can I use a Miflex hose with an SPG?

I'm sure the answer is 'of course' but just thought I'd check.

My (warm-water only) dive setup has evolved over the years to its current configuration: Backplate and wing, single piece harness, RK3s and by-the-book D-ring placement. I'm still learning and certainly not Tec (or even leaning in that direction), but the thought process that goes into these types of setups really resonates with me, helped me better understand my setup and the effect that the BP&W/weight distribution had on my trim in the water, when compared to my past travel, jacket-style BCDs is amazing.

I'm still using a short hose setup and have no problems with it. All of my other hoses (LP and reg/octo) happen to be Miflex, not for any other reason than that's what my regs and wing came with, they look nice and coil up easily and compact for travel.

One of the tweaks I want to make to my setup is to move from the current traditional SPG with a big, heavy rubber boot. The hose is slightly too short and the rubber boot is very big so a good excuse for a change. I've had this properly attached with cord on the hose to a large boltsnap attached to the left-hand hip D-ring - just like InnerspaceExplorers/DiversReady/SafeDiving told me to.

I've noticed that a lot of divers use a simple, bare, brass SPG mounted in the same way I have (boltsnap tied just below the gauge) and plan on getting such a gauge from my local dive shop - while there I'll have them fit a hose of the right length. But I wondered if I could use a Miflex hose for this SPG too? It'd be nice if it matched the rest of my hoses, but don't want to do this if there's a reason why an SPG must have a rubber hose instead of the braided Miflex-type - so thought I'd check here.

Thank you.

PS: Just by way of example, the sort of SPG I'm looking at is : https://www.hollis.com/product/2inch-pressure-gauge/?v=79cba1185463. And the Miflex hose I'm looking at is their Carbon HD High Pressure version - https://www.simplyscuba.com/Miflex-Carbon-HD-High-Pressure-Hose/ss58229102.htm?colour=Carbon.

I'll shop around but think I can get the pair for under £100, which I'm happy with. So it technically seems possible - just making sure there's no significant issue with this set-up.
    Last edited by gasket; 08-11-2022 at 06:09 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    miflex hoses seem to be marmite. personally I wouldn't put a miflex hose on an spg but others do. You'll find those nice miflex hoses start to fray and look tatty fairly quickly if you dive a lot or are rough with kit.

IMHO you don't need a flexible hose on an spg, you need a robust hose that will take a bit of wear and those nice brass gauges are quite heavy.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I use miflex hoses a lot but not on any of the HP side. There was a few issues a while back with HP hoses bursting and LP hoses degrading and clogging up inside though so YMMV
    If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have been using miflex on everything for years including SPG. My unit came new with miflex everything. I am not ultra careful with my kit but I have never had a problem with any of them. As Paula says there was an issue years ago but not heard of any for years now
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have one on my SPG, it was fitted during a service without consulting me -I'd heard about the problems they'd had so wasn't entirely pleased at the time but it's done quite a few dives since with no sign of deterioration.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Brass gauges seem to have a limited life. I've had several over the years from all the big names and they all seem to pack up. The most reliable one I have is from my original reg set I bought in 1991- a simple 300 bar plastic one that just keeps on working and is dead accurate. AFAIK they are all made in the same Italian factory they just stick different branded scale cards in them depending who orders them.
    I have Miflex HP hoses on my deco regs (as they have a tight bend radius) and they're also on my rebreather gauges (only cos it came with them). Everything else has a bog standard rubber hose on it.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gasket View Post
    I'm sure the answer is 'of course' but just thought I'd check.

My (warm-water only) dive setup has evolved over the years to its current configuration: Backplate and wing, single piece harness, RK3s and by-the-book D-ring placement. I'm still learning and certainly not Tec (or even leaning in that direction), but the thought process that goes into these types of setups really resonates with me, helped me better understand my setup and the effect that the BP&W/weight distribution had on my trim in the water, when compared to my past travel, jacket-style BCDs is amazing.

I'm still using a short hose setup and have no problems with it. All of my other hoses (LP and reg/octo) happen to be Miflex, not for any other reason than that's what my regs and wing came with, they look nice and coil up easily and compact for travel.

One of the tweaks I want to make to my setup is to move from the current traditional SPG with a big, heavy rubber boot. The hose is slightly too short and the rubber boot is very big so a good excuse for a change. I've had this properly attached with cord on the hose to a large boltsnap attached to the left-hand hip D-ring - just like InnerspaceExplorers/DiversReady/SafeDiving told me to.

I've noticed that a lot of divers use a simple, bare, brass SPG mounted in the same way I have (boltsnap tied just below the gauge) and plan on getting such a gauge from my local dive shop - while there I'll have them fit a hose of the right length. But I wondered if I could use a Miflex hose for this SPG too? It'd be nice if it matched the rest of my hoses, but don't want to do this if there's a reason why an SPG must have a rubber hose instead of the braided Miflex-type - so thought I'd check here.

Thank you.

PS: Just by way of example, the sort of SPG I'm looking at is : https://www.hollis.com/product/2inch-pressure-gauge/?v=79cba1185463. And the Miflex hose I'm looking at is their Carbon HD High Pressure version - https://www.simplyscuba.com/Miflex-Carbon-HD-High-Pressure-Hose/ss58229102.htm?colour=Carbon.

I'll shop around but think I can get the pair for under £100, which I'm happy with. So it technically seems possible - just making sure there's no significant issue with this set-up.
    Yes, basically. A new Miflex HP hose should be ok. All hoses fail though, and be aware that Miflex hoses do have a service life. Keep an eye on them and it should be fine. I've had my LP ones for a long time and whilst the yellow one shows up the mottley patches on the outside of the inner hose and they are a little bristly in places, they are still fine. They are probably 1st generation Miflex originals though, and pre-date the later ones that had the failures, inner hose crystalisation issues etc. Beware of dodgy copies that are best suited to plumbing in washing machines and bike pumps!
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinicky View Post
    I have been using miflex on everything for years including SPG. My unit came new with miflex everything. I am not ultra careful with my kit but I have never had a problem with any of them. As Paula says there was an issue years ago but not heard of any for years now
    I use a short miflex hose on stage SPGs which have a pretty horrible duty (bent round permanently) and have not had a problem in about 10 years. Think the "miflex" issue was actually mainly affecting fake Chinese copies. That said my main SPGs are on old style rubber hoses.

For anyone who doesn't know SPGs all come from the same two factories and the only difference is the dial card with the numbers and the name on it. If you want the minimalist look you can generally pop the brass SPG out of the rubber boot without difficulty - Decathlon online used to be the cheapest source and most of mine are from that high class store but I haven't bought one for years so I don't know if they are still selling them.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    I use a short miflex hose on stage SPGs which have a pretty horrible duty (bent round permanently) and have not had a problem in about 10 years. Think the "miflex" issue was actually mainly affecting fake Chinese copies. That said my main SPGs are on old style rubber hoses.

For anyone who doesn't know SPGs all come from the same two factories and the only difference is the dial card with the numbers and the name on it. If you want the minimalist look you can generally pop the brass SPG out of the rubber boot without difficulty - Decathlon online used to be the cheapest source and most of mine are from that high class store but I haven't bought one for years so I don't know if they are still selling them.
    Decathlon is good for stuff like that but I've always found you have to be really lucky to catch them when they have any stock.

Uwatec's SPG's are (or at least were) a shitty plastic case so you wouldn't really want to not have the boot. But then I've always found they lost calibration fairly quickly so stopped using them.

Most of my gauges are from whatever cheap brand Sea & Sea was supplying at the time. They are all the same brass cased SPG with a nicely graduated dial card. I've got a few unbranded gauges that I got from Diving & Marine in Manchester (sadly gone) which were dirt cheap and very reliable. They don't look like anything I've seen from any other supplier. They were about 30% smaller and have a plastic dipped brass cass with no boot. John would never say where he got them and I've never seen anywhere else sell them. They are my favourite out of the gauges I own.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thank you very much - some great advice there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast