Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    That's not camping!
    No but it's comfortable. At my advanced years, I don't believe in slumming it. In my early years camping/diving, it used to be sleeping bag on a groundsheet, none ofthese softy things like airbeds or foam matresses. Could that be one of the reasons I developed problems with my back, as well as carelessly heaving twinsets around as if my back was indestructible. We live and learn!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am very very lucky that Eastbourne is only 17 miles away so I have minimal fuel cost & no overnight accommodation plus even if a dive gets canned the evening before I have plenty of work I can jump onto. Plus I house & run our club compressor so no travelling for fills etc or testing required !
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Helium price in Egypt is pretty stable - but still expensive compared to the U.K.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Cost is a factor affecting many inland clubs. Our club has recovered from years of declining membership by becoming family friendly. We have quite a number of parents with teenage children and have just finished a snorkelling course for a group of younger children. It has been very satifying seeing how well they have come on and how much they have enjoyed it. The result is that there has been an instant demand for us to run a Discovery Diver course. I was sceptical about this course when it was first introduced as I thought it was too young to start something as potentially dangerous as diving but seeing the skills these young people have demonstrated, I have reconsidered and will now be running a pilot.

In order to make things as affordable as possible,we have been planning more shore diving and camping as accommodation. Even so, the costs of travelling to the coast for us are significant.

The future of our sport is going to depend upon young people getting the bug. If it is simply priced out of the reach of the young, there won't be the new divers coming through to support the infrastructure and as a sport it will just wither away and become the province of the affluent privilged few, at least in the UK.
    Just spent the weekend in Weymouth on the club rib (we have two but keep one in Weymouth from March to October) I joined the club because I was spending north of £400 two weekends a month on gas diving off hardboats
    This weekend's diving will have cost me £30 in boat fees plus a decent campsite in Weymouth with electric hook-up meant the fan heater kept me warm all night
    we're seeing an uptick in family groups wanting to join and the camping / social / diving angle only helps that

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123