Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lighter fins for travel - OK with frog, etc.

Currently use either F1s or jet fins. Lovely, no problems except they're heavy.

But too heavy for travel. What would the panel recommend for a lighter-weight fin that works with standard frog kick, back kick and turns?

Would, for example, the Scubapro Go fins work? They seem extremely light 1.2kg a pair and are a good price.

What others do you use?

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've got a pair of Mares Plana Avanti fins that I bought for travel because they were cheap. They were no better or worse than any other fin I'd used and to be honest, I've never noticed any fin ever being significantly better or worse than anything else. Obviously you can't frog kick in Force Fins but other than that I can't say I've ever not been able to frog kick effectively in anything I've tried.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    OMS slipstreams are a copy of the shape of Scubapro Jets ( blade and foot pocket) but use a much lighter rubber compound. From memory they are around half the weight of same sized jets

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I travel with the Apeks RK3s (the standard not HD ones) and they work well. I have scubapro go for the pool and they don't have much power in them at all. I took them in Wraysbury once on a hot day when I was in a wetsuit and they weren't that great and I definitely wouldn't trust them in a strong current!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John63 View Post
    OMS slipstreams are a copy of the shape of Scubapro Jets ( blade and foot pocket) but use a much lighter rubber compound. From memory they are around half the weight of same sized jets
    Interesting. Will dig.

Quote Originally Posted by smileydiver View Post
    I travel with the Apeks RK3s (the standard not HD ones) and they work well. I have scubapro go for the pool and they don't have much power in them at all. I took them in Wraysbury once on a hot day when I was in a wetsuit and they weren't that great and I definitely wouldn't trust them in a strong current!
    That's really useful. Light is great, useless isn't!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by smileydiver View Post
    Are those the go travel or the go sport version. If you use the the go sport I will have to reconsider what I was thinking of getting.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I’ve had no issues using my old Mares Avanti Quattro’s for travel. Certainly lighter than my F1’s but also a little longer I think.

Used them because I had them already - not sure what I’d choose if I was buying a lighter set now, but would probably start by looking at the RK3’s.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Another vote for the RK3 , I use them all the time.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use Seawing Novas for travel - fine for frog kicks but obviously not great at finning backwards: they are also a fair bit heavier than RK3s. If weight is a huge issue I have some Genesis composite Response fins which are OK but not great and not the fastest fins on the planet, I think these were replaced by the Flow which has bungy straps as standard.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Does anyone know about Mares Avanti Pure fins? They’re similar to @notdeadyet's Avanti Planar but with an open foot pocket that, apparently, can be used with or without booties. Thoughts on if that might work?

Eeek, need to find a snorkel!
    Last edited by Wibs; 15-08-2022 at 09:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast