Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you are a BSAC member, there is a step by step video on t/website on how to find and mend leaks in both neo and membrane suits what I did.

I also did one for Apeks 1st and 2nd stages but Apeks threw their toys out of the pram about it.
    Last edited by Woz; 12-08-2022 at 10:26 AM.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    I also did one for Apeks 1st and 2nd stages but Apeks threw their toys out of the pram about it.
    Stick them on YT as an average punter who is unaffiliated to any training agency. Its not like the manuals are not all over the web anyway. Apeks have been making it increasingly harder and harder to get proper kits and proper advice online. Not every job can be brought back to a service centre. What happens if someone needs an in the field repair during a week's diving? The reason I service my own gear is so that if something goes on a trip I will know how to fix it and the only way to be able to do that is to do it a few times a year.
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Stick them on YT as an average punter who is unaffiliated to any training agency. Its not like the manuals are not all over the web anyway. Apeks have been making it increasingly harder and harder to get proper kits and proper advice online. Not every job can be brought back to a service centre. What happens if someone needs an in the field repair during a week's diving? The reason I service my own gear is so that if something goes on a trip I will know how to fix it and the only way to be able to do that is to do it a few times a year.
    Exactly what I do. Have saved many a diver's trip by being able to mend stuff, from regs to twinsets to suits... and if regs were complicated they would fail. They're easier to service than, say, car brakes.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Don't know what it's like now but when I lived in the US no-one could service Apeks. Zeagle were rebadging them at the time but they only had a handful of authorised dealers. Happy days, I was buying Apeks regs retail from Kent Diving and flogging them in the US cheaper than Zeagle dealers were and still making a tidy profit. I used to fly out with a bag full every few months and never got a second look until 9/11 bollocksed all that. Looking back, I wish I'd done it with charlie rather than a load of regs.

Anyway, servicing your own kit is a damn useful skill. Half the world looks at an Apeks reg like it dropped from the moon.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They're easier to service than, say, car brakes.
    Only ever done Apeks and probably a 3 spanner job on the Haynes scale at worst. The dive industry has done a great job of terrifying divers. Same with latex seals and general suit repairs.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    Only ever done Apeks and probably a 3 spanner job on the Haynes scale at worst. The dive industry has done a great job of terrifying divers. Same with latex seals and general suit repairs.
    There's also step by step how to replace your wrist seals, and a downloadable PDF on zip replacement. When OThree were quoting 3 months for a repair, that focuses the mind! You just need a bit of time and patience it's really really easy doing seals- one handy hint I discovered while changing someone's seals bobbing around on a boat off Scotland is that 1L tonic bottles make fantastic formers. Drink about 1/3, squeeze all the air out, pop the cap on, shove down the sleeve then shake to reinflate and form a hard surface to press down on. Then just unscrew the cap, release the gas and pull out when done.

Also Cotol 240 is a waste of money. Ethyl acetate is the same stuff and you can get it off eBay for next to nothing. Cleaner and accelerant for Aquasure/Stormsure.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    A Scubapro mk2 has one moving part, a couple of o rings, a spring and an HP seat. It takes longer to fizz in the ultrasonic than it does to service it. A housebrick is more complicated.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A Scubapro mk2 has one moving part, a couple of o rings, a spring and an HP seat. It takes longer to fizz in the ultrasonic than it does to service it. A housebrick is more complicated.
    Indeed - many regs haven't changed internals in 40 years other than using more funky colours

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    Indeed - many regs haven't changed internals in 40 years other than using more funky colours
    I think the mk2 is a 1950s design!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12