Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Buying a 2nd hand Santi suit

Hello!
    We've been offered a 10 year old 2nd hand Santi suit for a pretty low price. It has a plastic zip and some kind of dry glove system - anything we should look out for when deciding whether to buy?
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The tapes on the seams can get a bit wonky on old suits - the glue dries out. If it is cheap enough it is repairable. Main problem with secondhand is usually the fit unless you are the same shape and size as the previous owner. Sometime people get dazzled by the price and buy one that doesn't really fit but they convince themselves it does and end up ebaying it at a loss. (Don't ask how I know that..)
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks! It will be getting tried on and I will be there to make fun of the fit if necessary

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    10 year old suit - offer £50 … and realise you’re gonna be chasing leaks till you get bored of it and throw it away

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    10 year old suit - offer £50 … and realise you’re gonna be chasing leaks till you get bored of it and throw it away
    This - at 10 years plus its a crapshoot so it has to be cheap enough to be not worth worrying about. Plus bear in mind that Santi are apparently taking an age for repairs (by no means the worst culprit as it seems to be more or less universal) so if you want to send it back to them to fix instead of your local dive shop you need to budget for that. On the other hand I do have a cheapo membrane surface suit thats older than that and still perfect (although writing that has almost certainly offended the Gods and screwed that one).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We bought it - it seems very nice.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Turn it inside out, reverse the valve so you can connect a hose to it, blank off the neck by rolling it over a few times and clamp with a couple of bits of wood. Use cans of beer and cable ties to seal the wrists.

Now inflate and cover the thing with soapy water to check for leaks.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    [QUOTE=Woz;481078]Turn it inside out, reverse the valve so you can connect a hose to it, blank off the neck by rolling it over a few times and clamp with a couple of bits of wood. Use cans of beer and cable ties to seal the wrists.

Drink the beer. /QUOTE]

FTFY
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    Turn it inside out, reverse the valve so you can connect a hose to it, blank off the neck by rolling it over a few times and clamp with a couple of bits of wood. Use cans of beer and cable ties to seal the wrists.

You had me worried there Woz, I thought you were giving her some new ideas......!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by divechick View Post
    You had me worried there Woz, I thought you were giving her some new ideas......!!
    Sorry I'll edit that.

Remove all of your clothes.

Then repeat with the suit. And don't drink the beer it will be warm.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast