Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Established TDF Member Finless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    6,227
    Likes (Given)
    3725
    Likes (Received)
    1343
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by wibble32 View Post
    Finless

    UDB = USB without thumbs??


    Some of the letters on my keyboard have worn off. Particularly on the left under the QW-RTY.

    I keep getting the S/D & A/S mixed up.

    I'll treat myself to a new one v/doon.

  2. #12
    Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Belper, Europe
    Posts
    3,627
    Likes (Given)
    2414
    Likes (Received)
    2286
    I am still in shock that Finless is giving advice ouit on the Technology section
    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

  3. #13
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    3,880
    Likes (Given)
    1019
    Likes (Received)
    1887
    Blog Entries
    1
    My TomTom satnav has a blue tooth connection and you can use that as a hands-free - I don't need to, both our cars have Bluetooth. Not sure if lorry Satnav's have that facility though.

  4. #14
    Established TDF Member Finless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    6,227
    Likes (Given)
    3725
    Likes (Received)
    1343
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    I am still in shock that Finless is giving advice ouit on the Technology section
    :smug face:
    Last edited by Finless; 04-08-2022 at 08:45 AM.

  5. #15
    Remember, remember Adrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    2,433
    Likes (Given)
    1319
    Likes (Received)
    1059
    Why distract yourself while driving? Hands free may be legal, but does still reduce your concentration to have a conversation.

  6. #16
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North West Ket
    Posts
    397
    Likes (Given)
    138
    Likes (Received)
    183
    @strangeone. How did it go? What did you buy?

    Rgds

  7. #17
    Established TDF Member taz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire of course.
    Posts
    774
    Likes (Given)
    631
    Likes (Received)
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Why distract yourself while driving? Hands free may be legal, but does still reduce your concentration to have a conversation.
    A while ago I had a discussion with somebody on the subject of distractions while driving.

    The police and ambulances for example are allowed to drive at speed and use a radio at the same time,
    yet in normal driving that is an offence. Police and ambulance drivers are trained to drive at speed and
    to make conversation as they are doing so, so I suppose that makes sense.

    One person in a car, driving and on the phone is distracted from both but the driving will suffer most.
    Two people in a car having a conversation will both be distracted but only one is driving so if two
    people are in a car having a conversation is that more or less distracting for the driver than if the
    driver was on their own, driving and on the phone?

    If the police can be trained to talk into a radio while driving can civilians be taught to drive and
    talk on the phone?

    We never totally agreed but we did agree that two people in a car talking is less of a risk than
    just the driver on their own on the phone because two slightly distracted people in a car are
    possibly still more aware of their surroundings than just a single driver on the phone.

    taz

    .
    .. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

  8. #18
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Too far from the sea!
    Posts
    11,969
    Likes (Given)
    3610
    Likes (Received)
    6876
    Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    A while ago I had a discussion with somebody on the subject of distractions while driving.

    The police and ambulances for example are allowed to drive at speed and use a radio at the same time,
    yet in normal driving that is an offence. Police and ambulance drivers are trained to drive at speed and
    to make conversation as they are doing so, so I suppose that makes sense.

    One person in a car, driving and on the phone is distracted from both but the driving will suffer most.
    Two people in a car having a conversation will both be distracted but only one is driving so if two
    people are in a car having a conversation is that more or less distracting for the driver than if the
    driver was on their own, driving and on the phone?

    If the police can be trained to talk into a radio while driving can civilians be taught to drive and
    talk on the phone?

    We never totally agreed but we did agree that two people in a car talking is less of a risk than
    just the driver on their own on the phone because two slightly distracted people in a car are
    possibly still more aware of their surroundings than just a single driver on the phone.

    taz

    .
    Also, if a driver stops speaking for a moment due to something requiring his immediate attention, a passenger in his car will realise this and allow for it. A person on the phone will start saying "Are you there? can you hear me?" causing more distraction.
    I think this is one of the reasons why ROSPA, The AA and RAC all suggest that phones are not used, even hands free.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

  9. #19
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    2,693
    Likes (Given)
    1096
    Likes (Received)
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    A while ago I had a discussion with somebody on the subject of distractions while driving.

    The police and ambulances for example are allowed to drive at speed and use a radio at the same time,
    yet in normal driving that is an offence. Police and ambulance drivers are trained to drive at speed and
    to make conversation as they are doing so, so I suppose that makes sense.

    One person in a car, driving and on the phone is distracted from both but the driving will suffer most.
    Two people in a car having a conversation will both be distracted but only one is driving so if two
    people are in a car having a conversation is that more or less distracting for the driver than if the
    driver was on their own, driving and on the phone?

    If the police can be trained to talk into a radio while driving can civilians be taught to drive and
    talk on the phone?

    We never totally agreed but we did agree that two people in a car talking is less of a risk than
    just the driver on their own on the phone because two slightly distracted people in a car are
    possibly still more aware of their surroundings than just a single driver on the phone.

    taz

    .
    With a lot of emergency driving situations (apart from the obvious exception for single manned police cars), the radio is used by a colleague where possible to allow the driver to concentrate on his driving.

  10. #20
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Off with the raggle taggle gypsies, oh!
    Posts
    1,768
    Likes (Given)
    280
    Likes (Received)
    1487
    Quote Originally Posted by wibble32 View Post
    @strangeone. How did it go? What did you buy?

    Rgds
    I didn't.

    I "moved house" yesterday into a newer wagon that is fully set up for bluetooth so I appear to have saved myself a few pounds, never a bad thing for a Yorkshireman


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •