Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Updated Dorothea Guest Policy

Following an internal review we have been able to update the guest policy to permit, suitably qualified non-BSAC divers to effectively "try before they buy" when visiting with an existing member.

The full policy wording is as follows:

NWTD Guest PolicyA member of NWTD is permitted to bring a guest(s) with suitable diving certifications to dive at Dorothea Quarry. Proof of certifications and visit date(s) must be submitted in advance to a club officer in order to obtain permission.

The guest(s) will be required to provide photo ID on entry, e.g. driving licence or certification card with photo. Guests can be BSAC members from another BSAC branch, BSAC Direct Members or divers from another training agency. Lapsed BSAC members are not permitted as guests. Divers from other training agencies will be covered by BSACís third party liability insurance. Each guest is allowed two visits to Dorothea Quarry

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Was camping in the area a few week s back and thought I'd take a look round dotty as it's been some year since my last visit.
    IE pre all the danger and keep out warning s of instant death stuck on every building and tree.

Even seen 5 divers using the place not bad for a Sunday . V sad to see. It was a much better place when the new age travelers would have a weekend rave and divers went diving as and when they wanted.

So that's one visit used up, Don't think I'll need the other
    Last edited by gobfish1; 30-07-2022 at 11:13 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Does being a 'Lapsed BSAC member' disqualify you under all circumstances?

Or can you still be a guest on the basis of now being a "suitably qualified non-BSAC diver "?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sadly its effectively a "try BSAC before you buy" policy, so if you have been a member you don't qualify for the guest visits I am afraid Steve.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Has NWTD ever looked at just opening it up to anyone that can provide evidence of 3rd party insurance and suitable qualifications? I'd imagine it would make the site a hell of a lot busier. I know I'd probably go over the winter. You can pick up equivalent insurance for about a third of BSAC membership. Like a lot of people, an extra £72 for a handful of visits just isn't worth it for me. For the cost of a cheap liability policy I'd probably consider it. I can't help thinking BSAC membership has got to be the main thing that discourages use of Dorothea.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    Has NWTD ever looked at just opening it up to anyone that can provide evidence of 3rd party insurance and suitable qualifications? I'd imagine it would make the site a hell of a lot busier. I know I'd probably go over the winter. You can pick up equivalent insurance for about a third of BSAC membership. Like a lot of people, an extra £72 for a handful of visits just isn't worth it for me. For the cost of a cheap liability policy I'd probably consider it. I can't help thinking BSAC membership has got to be the main thing that discourages use of Dorothea.
    Where can you get liability insurance from. I have been looking and the cheapest way I can find is BSAC direct.

Graham

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm more than happy to take any potentially workable options to committee Stuart. I've proposed BCA liability as an option which would allow for CDG and UKMC members to attend without BSAC affiliation, just need to bottom out if its workable.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    Where can you get liability insurance from. I have been looking and the cheapest way I can find is BSAC direct.

Graham
    The one I was looking at this morning was Insure4Sport. A quote through the Player/Participant option for scuba diving was £24.74 p.a. for £10m cover for 3rd party liability. I've not dug into it in any detail but the policy summary says:

Your legal liability for accidental Bodily Injury
    to a third party or accidental damage to
    third party property arising from all activities
    connected to their sport
    If it's legit and would be acceptable then makes using Dorothea a lot more affordable. The website seems to be geared towards coaches and trainers but it does give the option to quote just as a participant.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    I'm more than happy to take any potentially workable options to committee Stuart. I've proposed BCA liability as an option which would allow for CDG and UKMC members to attend without BSAC affiliation, just need to bottom out if its workable.
    I'm a (lapsed) CDG member so that would be interesting to see the results of. How you persuade CDG members to dive with a buddy might be the bigger challenge I remember the last CDG trip to Stoney I went on where I think pretty much everyone got banned. I also got banned from NDAC on a CDG rebreather weekend as well. I see a pattern forming.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    One of the key parts of the BSAC policy for the actual lanowners is the indemnification against a lawsuit from the family of a deceased diver who may seek redress against the landowner if they believed there was LO negligence that contributed to the death.

Not saying that the BSAC insurance is that robust but seems to be a key issue for the new owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast