Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    Again it comes back to opportunity. Take energy. Renewables tariffs over the last few years have always been significantly higher than general tariffs. I'd guess to most people on here paying for green energy would have been an inconvenience but they could accept it on principle if it was the only option. To the lower end of the economic scale it was the difference between being in fuel poverty (or deeper in fuel poverty) or not. Are you going to vote for someone who tells you that green energy is the only way forward or the side that insists that everything can continue as normal knowing that the "right" choice is going to mean a hell of a lot of hardship for you? The same goes for any number of issues. People are not acting irrationally.
    However, renewables cost less than fossil fuels and so wind power is cheaper than gas. The Tory backed Hickley C was the most expensive electric in Europe and a guaranteed profit for the French operators and Chinese financiers. Still people vote Tory so they are - by any measure you want - acting irrationally. The idea that people are rational actors is the basis of economics and the reason it is nearly always wrong about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    The idea of representative democracy works. Groups of people elect one person who is best suited to make decisions in that group's best interest so that they don't have to waste time on it and can get on with their lives.

The reality doesn't. No party acts in the electorate's best interest. Both sides are bogged down in dogma, have candidates who are utterly incompetent and balls deep in corruption and an electorate that is never given the full picture.
    People do not take an interest in politics so the full picture is not the issue even though I agree pretty much with your assesment. I doubt many people were unaware of what a liar and all round shit Johnson was. Perhaps they had not seen the quote from Max Hastings that he (BJ) was "unfit for public office" but it was a widely published quote that would not take much effort to find. Still people voted in the twat and in huge numbers. Presumably to get a hard Brexit that would fuck up the country's finances rather than a longer running debate and referendum on a deal which took a more balanced view. Johnson lied and cheated but no one cared. He backed Patterson and no one cared. Then it turns out he was having a piss up while the dipshit mugs that voted for him were missing out and he had to go.

No. I agree with you once again. The reality does not work. Not at all.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    <Snip>Then it turns out he was having a piss up while the dipshit mugs that voted for him were missing out and he had to go.
    Not quite right, IIRC.

The parties happened and nobody cared until And and Dec joked about it on some primetime shite. then, and only then, did it cut through, and even that wasn't enough.

It took him lying about knowingly promoting a sex pest who wasn't himself* to bring him down.

I have no idea why I've suddenly become so fond of italics in this post.

*Whoever had money on Johnson being brought down by somebody else's sexual misbehaviour must be a very rich man. I wouldn't have bet on it.
    Happy to be a woke* feminist SJ(K)W snowflake in a godless universe, no matter what some experts think. And Braun was a twat who's not missed. At all.

* Had to add woke; couldn't resist.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Not quite right, IIRC.

The parties happened and nobody cared until And and Dec joked about it on some primetime shite. then, and only then, did it cut through, and even that wasn't enough.

It took him lying about knowingly promoting a sex pest who wasn't himself* to bring him down.

*Whoever had money on Johnson being brought down by somebody else's sexual misbehaviour must be a very rich man. I wouldn't have bet on it.
    Fair point. It was a cumulative effect and I really personally don't know what made people change because I cannot understand why anyone would be moronic enough to vote for the arsehole in the first place other than Brexit bullshit.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Not quite right, IIRC.

And given the number of sexual misconduct cases being investigated against MPs, including a rape by an MP; that it would be grabbing another guy by the genitals that was considered to be the end of the line.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post
    60mpg?? what car is it? I get 45 from my Rav and I thought that was good
    Slight aside as I'm late to the party as usual, but for a little context, my Outback is happily turning in high 40s low 50s at the moment. It's a fairly high 1.5ton lump, has got 153k on the clock and is a Subaru, who are famous for many things but fuel ecomomy isn't any of them. My wife's old Golf estate would run in the high 50s to 60s all day long doing her short hops back and forth between the villages and high 60s for long motoroway runs. Hell, her petrol Golf does high 50s/low 60s nowadays. 45mpg isn't that great for a reasonably sized diesel really.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Hell, her petrol Golf does high 50s/low 60s nowadays. 45mpg isn't that great for a reasonably sized diesel really.
    My Skoda Octavia, basically a Golf estate, was clocking in the 70's mpg average on the motorway last weekend. Before I started giving a bit more attention to how I drive it was generally mid 60's. The long term combined average is sitting around 63'ish. From what I've read the computer has a 7% overestimation and that ties up roughly with the brim to brim measuring I've done. So 60mpg for a diesel estate doesn't sound unrealistic.

I've had an Outback and a Legacy estate (which wasn't much different to the Outback apart from the body kit and suspension, same 2.5L engine). They were both petrol and ridiculously fast but fuel consumption wasn't that bad, around 35-37mpg'ish. A friend of mine had a Legacy GTB import at the same time and was getting under 20 which made me feel much better.

I was getting around 40mpg with my 3L diesel Isuzu pick-up. Even towing a small RIB it never changed much. I could push it to 45 on a long journey with a bit of careful driving. I remember one of the Isuzu dealers doing John O'Groats to Lands End on a single tank as a publicity stunt. I'd have thought something at least half a ton lighter would do better than 45.
    Last edited by notdeadyet; 30-07-2022 at 11:48 AM.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You can cheat and lie in this country if you are rich enough.

if you tell people by owning rail, water, mail, pharma and spend war money on your own people you are deemed a wacko and not to be trusted.

the media has a significant part to play in the message that doing things together for the common good is bad, a few people becoming billionaires is acceptable.

either evolution or the beginning of the end when people cant afford food in the 5th richest country in the world and energy is about to cripple the rest of the population just so some can sell a few more arms.

Energy prices when you extract the raw material doesn't need to be at the market rate ask france where a 4% rise in fuel charges was set, edf not happy so the government already 87% shareholder took the rest.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    You can cheat and lie in this country if you are rich enough.
    Agree completely.
    if you tell people by owning rail, water, mail, pharma and spend war money on your own people you are deemed a wacko and not to be trusted.
    Not sure who what this is aimed at please expand.
    the media has a significant part to play in the message that doing things together for the common good is bad, a few people becoming billionaires is acceptable.
    I think I would agree with that.

either evolution or the beginning of the end when people cant afford food in the 5th richest country in the world and energy is about to cripple the rest of the population just so some can sell a few more arms.
    As always you have to look at history, that of the UK is of a declining state able to con a significant part of the world to support it.

Energy prices when you extract the raw material doesn't need to be at the market rate ask france where a 4% rise in fuel charges was set, edf not happy so the government already 87% shareholder took the rest.
    I Have no knowledge about this so would apreciate an expansion.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    Without a graph his post is meaningless

(not that we'd notice the difference or relevance to actual science)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVdi3Xm7f4&t=8s

Loaaaadddsss of graphs, you will love it

Well you wont because it states the bloody obvious but it does have a LOT of Graphs

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast