Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Maldives would be underwater but this never happened.
    It is happening to them and many other low lying island groups.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post
    Classic run out of arguments / feer of debate response. Particulates and C02? Possibly Particulates was a bigger issue but that wasn't the point. It was the particulate filter and catalytic converter era back when we were told go green go diesel. We were also told oil would run out by 2020 and the Maldives would be underwater but this never happened.
    Not the Maldives, but a little closer to home - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62322574
    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    It is happening to them and many other low lying island groups.
    Met Office has just published figures that suggest it's accelerating along Britain's coasts.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Perhaps you should have personalised it and got a personalised response?
    No it is correct we are all (in the developed world) collectively responsible to a greater or lesser extent. And I plead guilty having just flown from Bristol to Geneva and seen the rapidly melting glaciers around Mont Blanc (probably not Blanc much longer). What is being done is probably not enough, remember the targets are all optimistic and since weather changes day to day and human collective memory is short (shorter now in these days of electron shuffling than of yore) I see little prospect of much more being done soon enough. It will be a very different world sooner than we all think.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Not the Maldives, but a little closer to home - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62322574
    Yay! The coast is getting closer, I won't have to travel so far.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So you were comparing two different things - made versus unmade items. To be able to make informed decisions such as whether to replace your car with another - perhaps electric - you need to have good information, and the way that you have made the comparison is not good data.

Whilst the temperature has not gone up greatly in 12 years the rise in temperature is accelerating and is increasing faster than any other period of time that we know. The plot in this report shows that 9 of the 10 hottest recorded temperature in the UK have occured in the very recent past. The temperature is rising and the rate is increasing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Yay! The coast is getting closer, I won't have to travel so far.
    You say that but think about it like this. People living in, say, Suffolk, are going to be displaced by the shrinking land mass and where are they going to go to?

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You say that but think about it like this. People living in, say, Suffolk, are going to be displaced by the shrinking land mass and where are they going to go to?
    Where I live is extremely flat. On a normal tide just a foot rise covers a disproportionately huge area of shoreline and there's a couple of kilometres between the low and high water marks. It wouldn't take a massive rise on mean high tide levels to flood a huge chunk of countryside. As it is a good westerly gale on a spring tide is enough for local flooding. And that's the same from the Mersey up to the Solway, a big area.

But it's not just that. The big rivers round here like the Lune and Ribble are in very flat glacial valleys, they and their tributaries are already regularly bursting their banks and flooding big tracts of land from just rainfall.

The pressure is from both sides and we're a very narrow country with a big watershed running up the middle so difficult to escape.

I live on the highest point for miles, though. If the sea rises 150m in my lifetime then I'll have more than sandbags at the door to worry about.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anyone know where I can get a good price on razor wire, palisade materials and shotguns.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    No it is correct we are all (in the developed world) collectively responsible to a greater or lesser extent....
    The real guilt lies with the oil companies that have lied and obfuscated the facts to such an extent that otherwise intelligent people like Mark post up moronic bollocks. It is a well understood technique - fill the public space with utter nonsense and sow doubt about everything such that people argue about everything because the "facts" are nothing of the sort. The political right have backed this - mostly lining their own person pockets in so doing. Worthless scum like Nigel Lawson have based their careers on it.

Just by living in a developed country you are contributing to the problem. Everything we do is based on oil or fossil fuels. Everything we eat has put more CO2 into the atmoshere than the weight of the food. But someone like me cannot make any comment or observation because (I am frequently reminded) "I have a motorbike". You can only complain if you live in a yurt and eat earthworms. How such a person can access the internet beats me but that is how it is. Just by eating a ham sandwich I have invalidated my argument and should proceeed to set fire to a forest to prove the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    ..I see little prospect of much more being done soon enough. It will be a very different world sooner than we all think.
    Yes the window of opportunity is becoming very small. The records of the KT extinction suggest that rapid change is not only possible but most likley. The methane clathrates are melting and the artic is burning but not many people are seeing it or even aware of it. The new Russian mine is pouring out methane at a huge rate also and methane is probably going to be the gas that pushes us over the edge.

In the UK the new PM will be a denier as both opponents are in that camp. It is not impossible the shit gibbon will be back in the White House in '24, plenty of idiots still in that camp stateside. So I agree Tim, we have a big struggle to get people to take it seriously. I am sure someone will be along soon to blame the green movement or some such other fuckwittedness that seems to pervade this subject, how we should have built 2 million nuclear plants in the 80s when they didn't work very well or some other bullshit excuse. The discussion soon becomes whack-a-mole of repeated falsehoods and nonsense beacuse so very very very many people are unwilling to face up to the reality and are so much more comfortable either dismissing it altogether or taking comfort from one of the many lies that Exxon and their friends have put out there specifically for that purpose.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast