Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Sadly it appears Braun has come back...
    Nah, He`s just down the road today.

https://www.wrexham.com/forums/topic...ecourse-ground

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just by coincidence if you are nodding off....

https://www.radiotimes.com/programme...isode=b-7zncmn
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase View Post
    in the last 20 years C02 emissions from petrol engines have dropped by 35%. in the last 50 years its dropped by 82%
    I call bull shit. I get around 60mpg from my estate car. My parentís car was a similar size and used to get 30mpg. To get the 82% reduction it would have to have been less than 10mpg.

SO lets look at how this impacts things

The AVERAGE car in the UK will limit 1,683,000g of C02 in a year

The full EV car with a lifetime production of 40-50 tones (Volvos figures)

so the current petrol car (assuming now scraped and replaced with a full EV) would have taken 26 years to emit the same C02 as the new electric car

A typical 400mile range EV car will currently produce more pollution than the equivalent petrol car over its lifespan

Fantastic
    Again, I call bull shit. You are comparing two different things and ignoring a very pertinent fact. The different things you are comparing are the emissions from the petrol engine and the emissions of manufacturing a whole car. The pertinent fact you are ignoring, and virtually all climate sceptics do this because it knocks such a large hole in their argument, is that the batteries can be recycled endlessly - petrol is a one use item.

Watch this (assuming your not anti ted talks )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1E8SQde5rk

This to me typifies the hype over the facts of the problem.

So the pragmatist in me suggests the following

Dont go EV the infrastructure is not there to support it and the actual benefits are not standing up to scrutiny

Stop all this nonsense about scraping IC engines and instead pour money into making them more efficient and cleaner and combining them with plug in hybrid tec to allow EV use on short journeys, in doing so massively reducing demand on rare materials required fro EV batteries and dependence on China.
    Actually, most of the raw materials come from South America.

Develop investment into longevity of cars and car engines and cars in general so say 300,000 miles is the new 100,000miles in terms of typical life expectancy

And hers a radical idea,

If you buy a car your not allowed to replace it for 10 years.
    Sounds reasonable to me.

So instead lease it and the car can be recycled into the lower income affordability range with a heavily discounted lease after 3 years and 6 years. Thus, giving the opportunity for lower-income people to afford EV tec.

Finance the lease by public investment with a fixed return of 5% to avoid lease costs going through the roof with economic trends.
    It will be better to reduce individual car ownership in metropolitan areas (car clubs etc taking over) and improve public transport both in terms of numbers of services and fares.
    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    It will be better to reduce individual car ownership in metropolitan areas (car clubs etc taking over) and improve public transport both in terms of numbers of services and fares.
    apparently North Wales is regarded as a metropolitan area, by the pillocks in tiggers puddle

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...0a20f77fda0b99

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    You could throw a dart at a map of Europe and hit a city with better public transport than any of ours. Just in logistics terms London's is impressive (whether it's good or not I don't know, not somewhere I ever go) but the rest of the country is shit in the major urban areas. Glasgow and Edinburgh are atrocious. Greater Manchester is awful if you aren't on the tram route. Merseyrail is good but the rest of the network is shit in Merseyside, Liverpool Airport is damn near impossible to reach on public transport without allowing yourself about half a day. Presumably the same elsewhere. It is something we screwed up on decades ago with deregulation on buses and privatisation of trains. I'm not a fan of nationalisation but our fragmented public transport system is horrendous and I think is a good case for returning to public ownership. A car in a city should be a luxury but for a lot of people it's a necessity. Policy seems to be just stealth tax a captive market rather than offer any alternatives.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    You could throw a dart at a map of Europe and hit a city with better public transport than any of ours. Just in logistics terms London's is impressive (whether it's good or not I don't know, not somewhere I ever go) but the rest of the country is shit in the major urban areas. Glasgow and Edinburgh are atrocious. Greater Manchester is awful if you aren't on the tram route. Merseyrail is good but the rest of the network is shit in Merseyside, Liverpool Airport is damn near impossible to reach on public transport without allowing yourself about half a day. Presumably the same elsewhere. It is something we screwed up on decades ago with deregulation on buses and privatisation of trains. I'm not a fan of nationalisation but our fragmented public transport system is horrendous and I think is a good case for returning to public ownership. A car in a city should be a luxury but for a lot of people it's a necessity. Policy seems to be just stealth tax a captive market rather than offer any alternatives.
    It is the Tory obsession with "competition" that is the issue not owership per se. I support public ownership as it means any profit goes to reduce the tax burden as was the case with Royal Mail, but ownership is not in and of itself the issue. London transport is good (or it was when I lived there) because it is joined up and you can journey on the tube then a bus and a ferry or train all on one "ticket" in the form of an Oyster card or contactless credit/debit card. It is not cheap (though not too expensive) but has the required ability to get you A to B. Whether the actual service is provided by contractors or by a public owned company is not the defining feature.

I lived in Bristol for a short while and sometimes took the train to London for work. The rail station was not far but required a change of bus after two stops and then another two stops on the second route. At the time you had to pay per-journey. I don't remember the amounts but the two bus tickets were more than a taxi fare for the short journey.

A long long time back I lived in Sheffield when Thatcher "deregulated" the bus industry. In less than a year Sheff went from dirt cheap bus services that everyone used (my boss included) to a crackpot wild west that was beyond useless and everyone (me included) then drove to work.

At home in Montpellier we have a great tram service (https://www.montpellier-france.com/P...ier/By-Tramway) that means a night out "in town" is easy and you can go for a meal have a bottle of wine and not have to drive home. It is €1 each way with an all-day ticket if you want one. The new line runs just past where we live (or did - it's time to sell up now) and down to the beach. It also connects to the big shopping complex in Lattes. The terminus all have park and ride with cheap parking if you buy a tram ticket. The busses run on LPG and will get you out into the surrounding countryside for a couple of euro. It is great, but my council tax is eye watering.

Mrs Thatcher's great car economy is idiotic bollocks. Like all her nonsense. One day this joke of a country will grow up and get over it.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was in Southampton earlier this week fo a couple of days and used the buses there. A frequent service and reasonable fares. Oddly, there were people on board. Back at home the buses are infrequent and expensive, oddly there aren't many people on board.

When I lived in Sheffield in the early '80s the bus services was excellent and the fares low - the buses were pretty full, all day every day. Thatcher made them put the prices up and surprise, surprise overnight the roads were clgged, buses far emptier and the city ground to a crawl for two hours twice a day. This is the service level that we need to achieve in the metropolitan areas (including Wrexham, obviously).
    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    I was at school when it happened. I remember my route going from one small'ish bus timed to align with starting/finishing times to 5 separate companies running surplus Routemasters (which were great for fare dodging) that looked about 20 years old with buses every couple of minutes. Wasn't unusual to have your own personal bus to yourself. After a year they'd all gone bust and it went back to the Strathclyde council owned service. God knows what happened to the Routemasters, probably flogged to Africa or Pakistan.

Thatcher was a great example of how someone can be incredibly intelligent but an utter fucking moron at the same time.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    Thatcher was a great example of how someone can be incredibly intelligent but an utter fucking moron at the same time.
    Thinking of MkII in the present running perhaps?

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast