X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkA
    TDF Member
    • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Allan Carr
    It's just the same as it was then - I don't think they have spent a penny on the place, the 'facilities' are all falling apart.
    Sad to hear that. I know it was never luxury. It was local and a reasonable place to do training. It was nice to sit inside with a coffee after being frozen in the water.

Got my wetsuit from there when I first started diving.

Comment

• dwhitlow
      Coastal Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Paulo
      I am sure that someone has actually worked it out but I wonder how much water is actually held as ice around the world? Is there enough water to cause 5m raise? 10m? 20m?
      I think there might be as Google found this

Whilst I live well above sea level I'll not be around to see which model was right...

[EDIT: I noticed Google even works up north too. Perhaps the lack of search results might be down to the user?]
      Last edited by dwhitlow; 16-08-2022, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Allan Carr
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by MarkA
        Sad to hear that. I know it was never luxury. It was local and a reasonable place to do training. It was nice to sit inside with a coffee after being frozen in the water.

Got my wetsuit from there when I first started diving.
        My wife said that the state of the ladies toilets was absolutely disgusting with no locks on any of the cubicle doors and one cubicle with no door at all. The place was also filthy.

I also had an argument with them over a cylinder fill. The operator wouldn't fill my cylinder because he said the pillar valve was too stiff but wouldn't refund the cost either.

Comment

• Paulo
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by dwhitlow
          I think there might be as Google found this

Whilst I live well above sea level I'll not be around to see which model was right...

[EDIT: I noticed Google even works up north too. Perhaps the lack of search results might be down to the user?]
          When I said I wondered, I didn't mean wondered enough to bother doing ANY research. Thanks for the link
          If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• steelemonkey
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Paulo
            When I said I wondered, I didn't mean wondered enough to bother doing ANY research. Thanks for the link
            What Paulo means is "Why bother doing research when someone on here will do it for him."
            It has always worked for me.
            Paul.
            If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
            Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

• notdeadyet
              Nicotine, valium, vicodin...
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Allan Carr
              I also had an argument with them over a cylinder fill. The operator wouldn't fill my cylinder because he said the pillar valve was too stiff but wouldn't refund the cost either.
              Must be a quarry dive centre thing. I used to use Ecclestone Delph for air fills because they're just up the road. The guy there said exactly the same thing to me the last time I went. Never been mentioned by any other dive shop or where I got them tested. It's a shame, it's a nice little spot but I've had so much aggravation from the beige-clad twat who runs the place that I'd never set foot in it again.
              Last edited by notdeadyet; 17-08-2022, 09:29 AM.
              Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• Paulo
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by steelemonkey
                What Paulo means is "Why bother doing research when someone on here will do it for him."
                It has always worked for me.
                Research would involve searching for arguaments and counter positions and counter counter positions rather than the TDF standard of 1 position is final but sometimes it works
                If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Mark Chase
                  Old but keen
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by steelemonkey
                  May I point out that this forecast was with the premise of a 95 metre rise in sea level. There ain't no sea wall big enough.

With the current average rise in sea levels being 3.5mm per year, you should be OK for a while yet, In the last 2000 years its risen between 13cm and 20cm

Comment

• Mark Chase
                    Old but keen
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chrisch
                    I am not going to play whack-a-mole with you just because you feel deep guilt about your carbon footprint. Seriously mate find something better to do with your time. This will eat you up and turn you inside out.

WTF????? I seriously feel total zero guilt about my carbon footprint Haven't you been reading my posts?

You'r attitude would be ideal for the Catholic Church circa 1600

DO NOT research DO NOT question the accepted propaganda DO NOT act on anything apart from blind faith.

No sorry

When it comes to most things in life, I have always done the research and made an educated assessment.
                    I have no interest in blindly following the accepted version of events. Sure I have made mistakes but generally, I have a lot more success than failures.

The only good thing about getting old is experience. I have heard all the scaremongering before and read the doomsday predictions. And they never happened.

Living through stuff like Brexit where the powers that dominated at the time came out with a massive pack of lies, pushed it hard, then doubled down on it and just a few years later we discover its all total nonsense. I am more and more jaded about "accepted wisdom"

I once predicted that GUE would go CCR if it wanted to survive and I was mocked and ridiculed. And of course it did, it was f@@king obvious.

90% of my Brexit predictions have come true, it was fu@@king obvious

I doubt ill live to 2050 which would put me in my 90s but ill make another prediction for you.

There will be SERIOUS back peddling on the environment in the next 30 years. It's f@@king obvious

Hears a short term prediction for you

2125 Banc C requirement for all rented properties, Either won't happen or the legislation will be seriously altered so Band C only impacts on properties built after a certain date.

2035 ban on new hybrid cars very unlikely to happen, it's Likely the rules will be changed and they will "discover" hybrids are actually pretty green (Shock horror)

2035 ban on gas boilers in the home? Not going to happen

Comment

• Chrisch
                      Tofu eating wokerato
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Mark Chase
                      WTF????? I seriously feel total zero guilt about my carbon footprint Haven't you been reading my posts? ..
                      Sadly yes. But I will not repeat that mistake. I am sure you are right and Trump did win.
                      There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
                      With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Jay_Benson
                        Confused? You will be.
                        • Dec 2012

If I remember correctly the same groups of people that deny climate change or hold their hands up at shock at the initial cost of tackling it are the same people that both denied the connection between CFCs and the hole in the ozone layer and held their hands up in shock at the cost of alternatives to CFC - oddly when the world banned CFCs the hole in the ozone started to reduce and the costof doing something has actually turned out to be negligible / a saving. Just saying......

Would the world be better off if it used less oil, gas and coal? Yes, because those that we have will last longer - as a special bonus it reduces the emission of CO2, a greenhouse gas.

Would the world be better off if it used energy more efficiently? Yes, because that will give us greater energy security - as a special bonus it reduces the emission of CO2, a greenhouse gas.

Are EVs more efficient than ICE vehicles? Yes, even if coal if the source of the electrical power then the efficiency in terms of CO2 per mile means that the EV will go 2-3 miles for every mile that the ICE vehicle goes. If the source is, say, hydro electric then that stretched waaaaay more than 2-3 miles as the electricity is virtually CO2 emission free.

Will future generations look back at those alive now a cocks for dicking about arguing? Yes, because future generations will have to pick up the consequences of our inaction.
                        Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Comment

• Divemouse
                          Pedantic Pig
                          • Dec 2012

The permafrost is unfreezing. And we’re due for a mass release of greenhouse gases.
                          Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Comment

• notdeadyet
                            • Jan 2013

EDIT: Duplicate post
                            Last edited by notdeadyet; 18-08-2022, 09:23 PM.
                            Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• notdeadyet
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Jay_Benson
                              If I remember correctly the same groups of people that deny climate change or hold their hands up at shock at the initial cost of tackling it are the same people that both denied the connection between CFCs and the hole in the ozone layer and held their hands up in shock at the cost of alternatives to CFC - oddly when the world banned CFCs the hole in the ozone started to reduce and the costof doing something has actually turned out to be negligible / a saving. Just saying......

Would the world be better off if it used less oil, gas and coal? Yes, because those that we have will last longer - as a special bonus it reduces the emission of CO2, a greenhouse gas.

Would the world be better off if it used energy more efficiently? Yes, because that will give us greater energy security - as a special bonus it reduces the emission of CO2, a greenhouse gas.

Are EVs more efficient than ICE vehicles? Yes, even if coal if the source of the electrical power then the efficiency in terms of CO2 per mile means that the EV will go 2-3 miles for every mile that the ICE vehicle goes. If the source is, say, hydro electric then that stretched waaaaay more than 2-3 miles as the electricity is virtually CO2 emission free.

Will future generations look back at those alive now a cocks for dicking about arguing? Yes, because future generations will have to pick up the consequences of our inaction.
                              Exactly. CO2/global warming is a piece of the overall problem that is the more broad damage and destruction of the environment and ecology we live in. Even leaving CO2 out completely, the way we live is entirely unsustainable. The list of damage we do to ourselves is endless, from out of control ground fires that have been burning for 60 years to the air quality in our cities reducing the healthy life expectancy of millions. We are literally shitting in our own nest.

Maybe it will make no difference to CO2. Maybe CO2 is irrelevant. Either way, improving the environment improves the quality of life for every single person on the planet and improves global security. Wilfully destroying the world that supports you because it is too expensive to stop is both illogical and immoral. And represents the utter corruption and selfishness we've allowed to dominate the system we created for ourselves.

We are the only animal species that has ever deliberately put itself in a zoo, which is bad enough. Then we decided to never muck it out or fill the water up because it costs too much.

Comment

• Mark Chase
                                Old but keen
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Jay_Benson

Jay you fall into the bog standard trap of saying Climate Change Deniers?

No sain person denies climate change most definitely not me

For me it comes down to 2 issues:

1 Climate WILL change and we cant stop it we may slow it own a tiny tiny fraction but we will not stop it. It's part of the evolution of the earth. We get all moist around the gusset about the release of C02 into the atmosphere but tell me where did that C02 come from? Wasn't it taken out of the atmosphere by plants and crustations over the millennia? Will a C02 PPM of 5000 kill us? Errr no it won't. In industry, the max ppC02 allowed during a working day is a concentration of 5000 -10,000ppm.

No, what we are worried about is temperature change altering the face of the planet from how we like it today. It's the biggest act of hubris since King Kanute sat on a beach and ordered the tide not to come in and is fueled mainly by the rich west who want things to stay just as they are thank you.

Rising sea levels always make me smile because the sea is the great absorber of C02 and more sea more C02 management

I do what little I can on many environmental issues such as single-use plastics, adding of beam trawling, and banning of shark finning and I am currently doing a lot of research into GM crops to see if there's any justification for them. I am also a campaigner for THE MOST important environmental issue of our age. Free Trade. Free trade would pull whole countries out of poverty in under a decade and when people are free of true poverty, then they have the capacity to deal with issues like the environment.

No no I am not a climate change denier, I am a climate change accepted with a more pragmatic view of the future

2: The ridiculous cost for such insignificant returns

Should we be doing anything about fossil fuels?

Yes spend money on carbon capture, pollution reduction and engine efficiency to both provide clean air and to extend the period when the planet has access to fossil fuel reserves.

Most importantly BUILD NUCLEAR power stations LOTS of them

I'd never go vegan but I cut down my dairy intake and I massively cut down my meat and fish intake. That's the comparison with my stance on climate change.

Our current direction is not achievable it's not sustainable and it will fail.

The people who know the science know this but the time scale is so protracted they are not concerned as long as they get well funded from it and the govts support it for the freedom it gives them to impose taxes which would otherwise be vote losing

Noooooo you say. This cant be true????

OK go watch a film called the Big Short then come back and tell me the real powers out there are beyond planet-level screwing over to make a buck.
                                Last edited by Mark Chase; 19-08-2022, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Working...