X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian@1904
    Team Starburst
    • Dec 2012

St Abbs in June

It has been a few years since I have been able to do some boat diving off St Abbs. I should have been diving here a few weeks ago but some the virus hit me and the Boss for a few days, so the visit was delayed a little.
    We stayed up in Coldingham with friends who now run St Abbs Charters https://stabbscharters.com/ and who have some B&B accommodation. So Saturday 25th we dived off Stingray and then on Monday 27th we dived off Wavedancer.
    It is fair to say that the water was a tad cool varying between 9c and 11c depending on which dive computer you chose to believe. There is currently no where near as many edible crabs and lobster than I saw back in 2016. This may be due to the cool water. Viz is fairly decent.

So here are the four dives that I managed to do. I happened to see some wildlife that I am not too sure about. Please see the questions shown below.

At three minutes into the video there is a big sea slug, about 15cm in length. There is a sea urchin to the left for scaling purposes. Please can anyone assist with identifying what this is?

At three minutes and twenty seconds there is a brown stripy fish. It looks a lot like a wolffish but I thought that these fish were normally a blue/grey. Please can anyone confirm what the fish is

• mke
    TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

The sea slug is Tritonia hombergii - UK's biggest nudibranch - that reaches a maximum size of around 20cm. Your fish is a ballan wrasse.

Comment

• Ian@1904
      Team Starburst
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by mke
      The sea slug is Tritonia hombergii - UK's biggest nudibranch - that reaches a maximum size of around 20cm. Your fish is a ballan wrasse.
      Thank you. I can agree with your comment about the nudibranch. I am not convinced that the fish is a ballan wrasse though.

Comment

• Tim Digger
        Prior Member
        • Feb 2013

Definitely not a Ballan Wrasse lying on the bottom like that. Probably a Gunnel though there are many with more knowledge than I on cold water fishes. Ah wrong video, looks like a Ballan wrasse to me, but not expert.
        Last edited by Tim Digger; 01-07-2022, 06:48 AM.
        Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
        Tim Digger

Comment

• Firefly
          Established TDF Member
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Ian@1904
          https://1drv.ms/v/s!AigC3aGpLHxbs13v...d3v0A?e=xa785a
          At three minutes and twenty seconds there is a brown stripy fish. It looks a lot like a wolffish but I thought that these fish were normally a blue/grey. Please can anyone confirm what the fish is

I'm thinking Butterfish, DM will be able to confirm if it is or not.
          Last edited by Firefly; 01-07-2022, 08:20 AM. Reason: Add quote.

Comment

• PhilPage
            Established TDF Member
            • May 2014

Looks like a gunnel or some kind of blenny to me

Comment

• Ian@1904
              Team Starburst
              • Dec 2012

According to Marine Life of Britain and Ireland by Chris Wood, an MCS book, the fish is a juvenile wolf fish. It seems that this years divers are finding juveniles, but not many adults

Comment

Working...