Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Ade View Post
    Good luck with that - I think some of the images on my current PC have been copied from five previous PC's (and date from the late 1990's) with a "I must sort them out soon" attitude!
    The thing is that having moved from HD to UHD the improvement in video quality is very noticeable. So all raw footage prior to 2021 can be easily identified and removed.

Established TDF Member Decosnapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Good luck with that - I think some of the images on my current PC have been copied from five previous PC's (and date from the late 1990's) with a "I must sort them out soon" attitude!
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    I resemble that comment
    Lightroom, or other storage and retrieval system, is now a critical part of image management.

When dealing with tens of thousands of images, often of an otherwise featureless piece of rust from an unknown wreck, knowing precisely what wreck and roughly whereabouts is vital.

After every dive the images are imported into Lightroom, adding valuable metadata on the way. Key fields such as location - what wreck - and other details like "deck one, hold one" or "outer boundary, stern" are added.

Otherwise the idea of finding and processing the right batch of images quickly becomes impossible when the process is adding 2~3000 images per dive.

The Lightroom catalog file for a project like the Red Sea stuff soon becomes *almost* as valuable as the RAW files themselves...its copied and backed up regularly.

The master Lightroom catalog now holds 246k images and is about to get another 31k from the Red Sea added. In that mass of data, because everything carries some information about when/where/what means I can find 10 "Chesil beach wreck" images in about 10 seconds.

Without it, little to no chance.

It sounds like an overhead but much is automated at import and thereafter the time saved not wasting time looking for things is massive.

Highly recommended if you are drowning in images.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decosnapper View Post
    Lightroom, or other storage and retrieval system, is now a critical part of image management.

When dealing with tens of thousands of images, often of an otherwise featureless piece of rust from an unknown wreck, knowing precisely what wreck and roughly whereabouts is vital.

After every dive the images are imported into Lightroom, adding valuable metadata on the way. Key fields such as location - what wreck - and other details like "deck one, hold one" or "outer boundary, stern" are added.

Otherwise the idea of finding and processing the right batch of images quickly becomes impossible when the process is adding 2~3000 images per dive.

The Lightroom catalog file for a project like the Red Sea stuff soon becomes *almost* as valuable as the RAW files themselves...its copied and backed up regularly.

The master Lightroom catalog now holds 246k images and is about to get another 31k from the Red Sea added. In that mass of data, because everything carries some information about when/where/what means I can find 10 "Chesil beach wreck" images in about 10 seconds.

Without it, little to no chance.

It sounds like an overhead but much is automated at import and thereafter the time saved not wasting time looking for things is massive.

Highly recommended if you are drowning in images.
    Simon is 100% on the money with this And I love Lightroom!

The problem is the "few hundred" copied from my windows 98 PC to my Windows Vista PC to my Windows 7 PC and now on my Windows 10 PC (soon to be my Windows 11 PC) which I really must get around to sorting - it's not the photo's last year, it's the one's a decade or two (or three) ago

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Simon is 100% on the money with this And I love Lightroom!

The problem is the "few hundred" copied from my windows 98 PC to my Windows Vista PC to my Windows 7 PC and now on my Windows 10 PC (soon to be my Windows 11 PC) which I really must get around to sorting - it's not the photo's last year, it's the one's a decade or two (or three) ago
    I am fortunate in that the Boss takes many photos and stores them via Apple Mac and ipad. There are over 12,000 images in her storage going back thirty years. Makes my video archive so much easier to manage.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decosnapper View Post
    I took two Sandisk Extreme SSD and I use these a lot. Highly recommended.
    Attempt one was a suspiciously cheap 4Tbyte drive off Amazon. Turned out to be utter rubbish. Attempt two is an Extreme. So far so good. Seems to be excellent piece of kit.
    Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12