Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Portable disk drive

Having made the upgrade in 2020 to make dive videos in UHD I have noticed that I require rather a lot more disk space. This is particularly important for liveaboard dive trips. I was on board Clasina in May for two weeks and had some disk space challenges while working on various video projects. I am back on Clasina in August for two weeks and so looking for a SSD solution, I think. So I want something physically small and reasonably robust.

My GoPro has a 500 gb micro SD, and this will cope for two weeks.

1TB SSD or similar drive should be enough. I have backup solutions at home/cloud.

What I want is something with a decent transfer rate from the GoPro Micro SD to the new backup device. This could be another micro SD. Though I don't know how quick the data transfer would be.
    I expect to generate 12 to 20 gb of video per day. My Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 has a 458 gb SSD of which around 100 gb is spare. I do use the machine a fair bit

Looking at the options on Amazon I think that SSD backup pricing options are based mostly around speed.

If I use this as two examples
    Samsung T5 1 TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps, Type-C) External Solid State Drive (Portable SSD) Deep Black (MU-PA1T0B)
    SanDisk Portable SSD 1TB, up to 520MB/s read speed, Black

One appears very much faster than the other

Your thoughts please.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Might be more cost effective to use multiple drives.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I got 1tb in a clearance in my local branch of one of the big chains for something like €65 a few months back for the same reason
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Both those drives are actually about the same speed. ~500mb/s. The 10Gbs just refers to the maximum speed of the USB3.1 standard.

Transfers from the sd card will be limited by the card itself, to say 150mb/s

I'd suggest you think about what you want to do with the data in the medium-long term. If you are going to keep all the raw video in backup form then you're going to need loads of storage and you would maybe be better looking at a large external drive or NAS to keep at home. 10TB+ for 200 spinning disk job.

For taking on holiday, I'd suggest swapping the drive in your laptop. An Inspiron 13 will have an m2 pcie nvme ssd inside and will take a very fast drive. 1TB for ~110, 2tb, for ~230. This will read/write 10x as fast as those drives linked above and mean you can just put the stuff straight on there, edit video properly on the PC without relying on external drive transfer speeds. Transfer the raw stuff to an external backup drive when you get home.

Another option is to use cheaper 32/64gb cards and just use one per dive, copy off the video, keep untouched and separate from your laptop as a backup until you get home.
    Last edited by Steve Clark; 15-06-2022 at 08:25 PM.

Established TDF Member Decosnapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    3D work generates a mass of data and the recent Red Sea trip was no exception - 1.2Tb of images and models by the end of the week and a minimum of two copies were maintained at all times. The laptop drive wasn't large enough to hold everything so that held the RAW only. Derived from the RAW, the models themselves were something that could be lost or deleted, but the RAW were not. In the end four copies of the RAW existed; laptop, 2 x SSD (travelling separately) and a local hard drive that remained with the Egyptian team.

I took two Sandisk Extreme SSD and I use these a lot. Highly recommended.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My solution has been to buy a load of smaller SD cards and use 1 per dive day and just swap them over at the end of each day when I swap batteries. When I get home I transfer everything from the SD cards onto a generic external HDD (usually Sandisk or Toshiba depending on price - I think they are all made in the same factories) and I copy that to a second HDD as a backup, then I erase the SD cards for next time. The speed at which you amass data just swamps the laptop internal SSD fairly quickly.

You could probably back them up to the cloud or to a NAS and eliminate the HDD altogether but I can't be bothered. Just be careful you don't mix up the SD cards while you are away: for extra protection you could copy the RAW files to your laptop while you are away but that sounds like a PITA and all that messing about with laptops and SD card readers on a boat seems to me to be an additional risk. Stick the SD cards in your hand luggage or jacket pocket for the trip home.

In theory, eventually I will chuck away the files I no longer need and re-use the HDD, though in practice the price has been falling and I have a box of HDD in the wardrobe! Despite nearly 2 years of enforced sitting on my bum I still haven't got round to clearing any of it out.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    My solution has been to buy a load of smaller SD cards and use 1 per dive day and just swap them over at the end of each day when I swap batteries.
    Beat me to it - I'm more worried about failure losing an entire drive than a single day.

We also (when we had access to Wi-Fi) backed up everything to "The SAN Drive under the stairs" but that was just swank. Although impressively quick from the hotel in Manila (we had a transfer between Truk and Sangat and backing up everything in about 10 minutes added a nice warm glow...)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thank you for the ideas. My domestic data backup is OK, we have several T bytes of data available on various drives.
    I keep most of the raw data with the intention of producing new videos, in reality this never happens. So at some point I will go through the hard drives and delete stuff.
    I took a look at the Sandisk Extreme SSD, looks like my birthday present is sorted.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    So at some point I will go through the hard drives and delete stuff.
    Good luck with that - I think some of the images on my current PC have been copied from five previous PC's (and date from the late 1990's) with a "I must sort them out soon" attitude!

Established TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Ade View Post
    Good luck with that - I think some of the images on my current PC have been copied from five previous PC's (and date from the late 1990's) with a "I must sort them out soon" attitude!
    I resemble that comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast