Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hardness Specification for K-Valve O Rings?

Does anyone have the specification for the O-ring that fits in the face of an older-style cylinder valve (A-Clamp). I know the size is 111 but what shore number should I buy? T'internet seems to suggest 70 which are available. I can get 100 nitrile o-rings of unknown hardness for 10, Viton ones of known hardness cost a bit more but in the big scheme of things are still cheap so I would like to buy the correct thing.

Every time I buy a big box of O-rings its the size that gets used up first - almost always by buddies!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Woz had oodles of them a bit back that he was nearly giving away in the packs he put together. He could do custom packs too (I assume he still can)
    JJ wanker

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    Does anyone have the specification for the O-ring that fits in the face of an older-style cylinder valve (A-Clamp). I know the size is 111 but what shore number should I buy? T'internet seems to suggest 70 which are available. I can get 100 nitrile o-rings of unknown hardness for 10, Viton ones of known hardness cost a bit more but in the big scheme of things are still cheap so I would like to buy the correct thing.

Every time I buy a big box of O-rings its the size that gets used up first - almost always by buddies!
    I buy my orings from Polymax. Even with the minimum order sizes they are still cheap. From memory I think 70 shore is the recommendation for sealing moving parts and 90 for anything static.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    I buy my orings from Polymax. Even with the minimum order sizes they are still cheap. From memory I think 70 shore is the recommendation for sealing moving parts and 90 for anything static.
    Me too! They are so cheap it isn't worth skimping to save 10p an O-ring! T'internet says 70 Shore but didn't sound super confident!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ideally 90 shore A for DIN (112) or A clamp (111) O rings. Send me a message and I'll sort a bag out for you. You can use softer ones no problem but you might find they pop out of the O ring groove when you take the reg off.

Oh and don't bother with Viton it's a waste of time. Get EPDM.

FYI M26 are 113.

Oh and Polymax are really expensive compared to a normal supplier. But I buy in bulk so get O rings for pennies. Probably have a million of them in various sizes in the workshop...!
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!