Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kent tooling reel

Im looking at getting a KT reel...... but theres so many options;

I will get a composite model for the weight, its got to be right handed and I want a 25mm handle

On this page, theres narrow, wide, thick, thin.....

Whats the general standard reel people use when picking a KT reel?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The 'standard' is to use a reel we chose and discover how best to use it. We make our choices, adapt, and sometimes regret them.

I've never owned a KT reel as, when I was last buying new reels, they were overly heavy. I never imagined handle width to be a choice

Now the composite option exists I'd consider KT but my CD reel still works so that's a thought for the future.

Maybe they all work and all choices are good enough?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What do you want the reel for? I use ratchet reels with a DSMB. If I know I will be doing a drift dive I have a large ratchet reel. On return to to shot dives I use a free running reel that has more line than my DSMB reel..

Graham

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    The 'standard' is to use a reel we chose and discover how best to use it. We make our choices, adapt, and sometimes regret them.

I've never owned a KT reel as, when I was last buying new reels, they were overly heavy. I never imagined handle width to be a choice

Now the composite option exists I'd consider KT but my CD reel still works so that's a thought for the future.

Maybe they all work and all choices are good enough?
    Same, I use a scubapro atm but its on its last legs.

Im looking at the lighter composite

Ive narrowed it down to these choices;

https://www.divingproducts.co.uk/sho...product_id=417

https://www.divingproducts.co.uk/sho...product_id=585

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use a KT reel , it’s excellent. With the composite back it’s still heavier than other reels , I also have a custom diver which is much lighter. For me the KT is easier to operate. Looking at your 2 choices my preference would be the first one , smaller spool but wider. That’s because I stow my DSMB on top of the reel against the handle with bungee, it’s quiet a neat package. However with the KT you can get a Velcro strap on the back to hold your DSMB , this , for me, makes the assembly wide. If you fancy this option then possibly the narrower reel is better.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use a 50m cheap spool with 5m of line cut off for launching a DSMB. Switched about 15 years ago and won't go back. So easy to use and easily fits in a drysuit pocket.

I do use a KT composite 125m reel for my teaching mini shot as I can drop a 2kg weight then send the reel down to add to the mass. For line laying I use a Halcyon Pathfinder as you can hold it and a torch in one hand while faffing with the other.

One thing worth considering is if you have to let a reel and DSMB go, if you are watching £200+ of blob and reel disappear you are less likely release it...!
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I`ve seen someone drop a wreck on a Kent reel; they both survived.

I`ve surfaced and realised that my new 75m custom diver reel and pre-attached self inflating dsmb, were not still clipped to my back-plate; after a poxy 35m dive: That was an expensive dive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I have had bad experiences with CD reels. Have had 1 unscrew at the clip on a RHIB as I was kitting up, reel went splash. Have managed to catch it 2 more times just before it failed in the same place.

Have also broken the delrin spool on them twice. They do not take kindly to being dropped.
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    I have had bad experiences with CD reels. Have had 1 unscrew at the clip on a RHIB as I was kitting up, reel went splash. Have managed to catch it 2 more times just before it failed in the same place.

Have also broken the delrin spool on them twice. They do not take kindly to being dropped.
    From an engineering background, I know how much abuse delrin can take.
    How far id you drop it, and did it confess?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    From an engineering background, I know how much abuse delrin can take.
    How far id you drop it, and did it confess?
    1st one fell from a worktop onto a tiled floor. Last week i was carelessly dropping it into my kit bag, dropped from knee height as my arms we full and couldnt be arsed to bend down with it
    JJ wanker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast