Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    It does seem to be getting worse. Seeing Bible-bashing conservative crackpots like Jordan Peterson getting treated like gods doesn't help. If it wasn't for gobshites like him I don't think anyone would care who pisses where as long as it wasn't in the street.
    “Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,….”

“And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends.”

“For in very deed, as the LORD God of Israel liveth, which hath kept me back from hurting thee, except thou hadst hasted and come to meet me, surely there had not been left unto Nabal by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.”

Just three of the some half dozen references to Men/Boys in the Bible and the outcome. How you can say its getting worse?
    Granted I read the book and know how it ends but getting worse? Nah, its just as in the days of Noah.
    Some may differ I guess.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Er. No. The first part of the Bible (The Old Testament) the first five books are indeed the Torah plain and simply. Nothing is borrowed and in your case nothing gained it would appear.

Er. No again and not even closely could it be described as "slightly differently". But without going into detail no, Islam is the odd one out here.

I don't think you want me to answer that.

Wearing the pink dress and high heels at the time didn't help. Just Saying.

Really? Try being the tall queer effeminate male standing on a tall roof in Afghanistan, and see how far that flys.
    I would be curious how many pubs you could enter without winding someone up enough to hang one on you.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I would be curious how many pubs you could enter without winding someone up enough to hang one on you.
    I suspect it might not be a case of how many pubs he enters but how long it takes in each one (I think all of them might eventually succumb to the same thoughts).

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I could enter yours if you like, you could give it a try.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As always - please behave
    Thanks
    Mal

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I could enter yours if you like, you could give it a try.
    I was brought up not to pick on the afflicted.

Grow up, or dry out.

Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    As always - please behave
    Thanks
    Mal
    Did you delete my post? You know, the one that merely implied that Iain has form?
    Happy to be a woke* feminist SJ(K)W snowflake in a godless universe, no matter what some experts think. And Braun was a twat who's not missed. At all.

* Had to add woke; couldn't resist.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Er. No. The first part of the Bible (The Old Testament) the first five books are indeed the Torah plain and simply. Nothing is borrowed and in your case nothing gained it would appear.
    It's an English translation of a Greek translation of the Torah from around 350CE. And as there are no complete extant Torah copies older than about 1000CE there's no way of verifying how good that translation was or how much reinterpretation went into it. Only that it differs from the current Jewish Torah enough that the Septuagint isn't considered a Torah. There's plenty of careful editing going on too, like writing out the original Phoenician gods and making it look like Yahweh was there all along and not just some Arabian war god adopted in the Bronze Age when El was a bit too happy living in his tent in the desert to get involved with the chosen people any more.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    “Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,….”

“And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends.”

“For in very deed, as the LORD God of Israel liveth, which hath kept me back from hurting thee, except thou hadst hasted and come to meet me, surely there had not been left unto Nabal by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.”

Just three of the some half dozen references to Men/Boys in the Bible and the outcome. How you can say its getting worse?
    Granted I read the book and know how it ends but getting worse? Nah, its just as in the days of Noah.
    Some may differ I guess.
    I have no idea what any of that gibberish has to do with treating anyone who differs in gender or sexuality as a decent human being. When anyone starts quoting Bible texts to justify discriimination then they're either a bigot or a moron. Or maybe both. Either way, there's no good outcome.

I've also read it and I know how it ends and it's utter nonsense. If it turned out Terry Pratchett had written it all as a hoax I wouldn't be surprised.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Terry Pratchett explains to origins of gods very nicely in "Small gods."
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast