Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Calling all bikers.

Real bikers, ones with engines.
    As usual, the weather is warming and I get a hankering to get back onto two wheels.
    May not be a good idea as I am getting on a bit and have not ridden for years, so this might just be my normal, springtime urge that will be beaten down by good sense.
    I am no boy racer and an old plodder will be all I need, and I have seen plenty around that would be in my price range.
    My query though, is what sort of budget will I be looking at for protective gear? I know a lot of this comes down to personal choice but I was wondering what others consider a sensible cost. Cheapest ain't always the best when you are looking at PPE.
    TIA
    PS, Any one got an old Brough Superior kicking about in the garage that they want to get rid of? I am willing to go up to a grand if it is not too rusty.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Depends on what look you are after tbh, my sons all in one with built in air bag was nearly 1k, I'm in a 300 quid leather, 350 quid helite, 60 quid gloves and just about to get some triple a jeans at 180, but I'm a cruiser rider

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I confess I run the gear up and down depending on the trip. (and the weather)
    Always a good helmet, always top bike gloves, but then a choice of jackets with armour
    Then the real choices begin
    Long and/or fast trip: full leather suit and boots
    Shorter trip where I don't want to change before meeting people armoured jeans
    Lunch with my brother: strong jeans and normal leather (hill walking) boots.

How much? No idea.
    But it is easy to get dragged in on the specification and buy something that costs a mint but is unsuitable for real life.

PS: there is no such thing as too old.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Define "protective". Decent leathers are the best thing for abrasion and all the new fangled shock absorber foams work well for impact. Ergo the "best" is probably a good set of leathers with elbow pads and maybe a back protector (never figured that item out TBH). You can get shock absober on a netting base to go under regular gear 220 notes https://www.demon-tweeks.com/dainese...E&gclsrc=aw.ds.

If you ride in the rain you can add a fair chunk to get proper waterproof. The modern "thing" are the fabric jackets. My Dainese was 600+ quid. Mostly I wear a leather jacket (also Dainese) that I have had years. Last waterproof I had for 20 years until the road shit just got too bad.

Boots, leathers and waterproofs all up to replace for me would be three grand ish. I am totally unconvinced by the impact protection stuff. The elbow pads would soon be pushed away in a fall and the so called back protector is a joke IMHO. For myself I would much rather buy a good quality leather jacket and matching strides if you can bear them in the warm weather. Dainese, Furygan or similar are not cheap, Akito and some of the other brands are cheaper but look shit (again IMHO).

Are you near to Swindon at all? There is a good shop there. https://www.megamotorcyclestore.co.uk/ Missus got new waterproof jacket and strides there. Ladies stuff can be really ugly if you don't pony up a fair wodge for it.

If I were starting back again from scatch my #1 choice would be a good quality classic black leather jacket from a good make. 3-400 quid. Something like: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/463008

Yes, I am a bit of a Dainese person
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Like dive gear - you remember this is a dive forum don’t you - how much do you want to spend? When I decided to resurrect my old bike I reckoned on 1,000 - including new tyres for the bike and odds and sods to get it back on the road - I didn’t go too far over. I didn’t skimp on the helmet, I love Shoei helmets and don’t tend to look at anything else as I know that the helmet will be a great fit - 300 for the helmet. Leather jacket, because my old one had shrunk, was 150. Leather jeans just needed a good feed so 20 for leather food. Boots - the old ones did for the first year. Gloves - I seem to never get the right size in the shop and they always seem to be too small after a hour so I have too many pairs but I tend to pay around 50 for a half decent pair.

I have since upgraded the leather jeans to Aramid jeans under denim - 180 and new boots cost 200. I was told I had to get a new jacket when I got a new bike 18 months ago - textile Richa jacket 300ish and another new helmet so that our youngest can ride pillion - his head is the same size as mine 400. At some point I will get a cheap waterproof oversuit.

I have spent quite a bit now that I look at it but it has been over a period of time - around 4 years - but riding the bike relaxes me like diving does and I feel more alive than when in a cage.

So, the big question is - what sort of bike do you fancy?
    Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Probably eighties japanese.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Probably eighties japanese.
    That covers a multitude of bikes. If I were to choose something from that period I would probably go for a Honda - they have been building good quality bikes for decades so there is a chance that you might pick up a solid one.

How about a Honda Revere NTV600 / NTV650 - shaft drive, V-twin, not a mental sports bike, reasonable spares situation, 110mph, etc? The NTV will tour, get you through town, entertain through the twistiest, return good mpg, and you will be able to do the basic servicing yourself as there isn’t a heap of fairing in the way. The 650 is much more common than the 600 as the 650 was sold at a lower price. Here you go.

Then later, when you have confirmed that this isn’t a passing fad and find that the bug has bitten deeper than expected, something more modern and more focussed on your preferred style of bike. Or get a Brough Superior - available new or used.
    Last edited by Jay_Benson; 10-04-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was thinking Honda. As you say, solid and reliable. Saying that though, I have just spotted a modern Royal Enfield for two and a half grand. Might be a nice thing to plod about the country side on.
    As for a Brough, it would have to be an oldie for me. If anyone want to get involved in crowd funding.............
    https://www.morebikes.co.uk/news/565...eaches-425500/
    Last edited by steelemonkey; 10-04-2022 at 11:07 AM.
    Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Go a bit newer - they are all solid and reliable then. My Suzuki is old (09 plate) but very low miles and does everything. I wouldn't want anything older. Customer had the "new" Enfield but to be honest I would only take it on the road if it was on a trailer. The Gold Star might be the thing if you want a new old bike. I would. At a push.

https://www.bsacompany.co.uk/bsa-gold-star/#intro
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Chris and I diverge on the Enfield front. The Himalayan is excellent off dual carriageways but not so good on them. The 650 engine is really nice and it comes in various guises. They did have a few reliability issue with the Himalayan for the earliest versions but the newer - BS4 onwards - seem to have got them sorted out and they go well. They are at their best on trails and B roads. The Interceptor is great on road but I wouldn’t go off road on it without a few tweaks. I wouldn’t go for the 350 or the 500 in anything other than the most modern version with the fuel
    injection.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast