Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    My visit was in '97. The wreck was still proud of the water, but deteriorating. We dropped in beside it and rumaged around until we found a hole to swim into. It was so beautiful, with sunlight streaming between the amphipod-populated girders. It was a bit like the light that streams through stained glass windows in a cathedral.

I'd love to see baby lumpsuckers - they're seriously cute.

When we left the wreck the tide was running. I sent "up" the blob and it disappeared sideways, so we nodded at each other and followed it. Great dive.
    Lol yes iv done the drift dive past the wreck at full tilt. Not for the faint hearted. Tested my flutter valve . Have to admit. Fun but v dangerous lots of stuff to get jammed under
    Snagged on . Skipper called it the White eyes dive. Lol

Sorry for going OT .
    Last edited by gobfish1; 05-04-2022 at 08:19 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The Conway at 16m on the edge of Haisborough Sands Norfolk in 1986. A steel three masted Barque had just reappeared out of the sands. Apart from the missing masts (just three stumps) the wreck was intact and actually looked like a ship. The bowsprit going out about 15m covered in anemone's, the safety nets still intact below the bowsprit, the anchors out from when it went onto the sands, one swinging free over 30m. There was cargo beneath a covering of sand, railway lines, crates of wine in balloon bottles, crates of Schnapps, wooden barrel taps with pewter spigots, stacks of enamel baths and bowls. A great dive, and it still is though it has been much emptied out and is breaking up and the anchors have broken away.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All from the very early 1980's

1981, The Hispania off Mull. Still upright with no list. The reason why it was so memorable was
    that I stood in bridge and could see the bows. On the stern the brass letters spelling her name were still there.

The same year I did Piper Gut at full speed near the Farn Islands. One of the best drift dives ever.

taz

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The France, a paddle steamer in lake Annecy is one of my all-time favourites. It has a fairly tragic history as a nazi prison during the second world war, and sank almost fifty years ago in suspicious circumstances in about 40m of water about ten minutes fron the lake banks.

The wreck is still in beautiful condition complete with billiard table, mirrors, staircase and toilets.

It's deep, dark and cold enough to be a borderline "technical" dive and there have been a fatal incidents over the years but it's definitely worth going out of your way to visit.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
    The France, a paddle steamer in lake Annecy is one of my all-time favourites. It has a fairly tragic history as a nazi prison during the second world war, and sank almost fifty years ago in suspicious circumstances in about 40m of water about ten minutes fron the lake banks.

The wreck is still in beautiful condition complete with billiard table, mirrors, staircase and toilets.

It's deep, dark and cold enough to be a borderline "technical" dive and there have been a fatal incidents over the years but it's definitely worth going out of your way to visit.
    The mirror in (I think) the bridge gave a bit of a fright. Same dive I did on a twin set, and mad French bloke did on half a 10 litre. Champagne on surfacing was nice though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Champagne hey? You were probably diving with Patrick Dykcik from Haute Savoie Plongee. He's shut up shop now: another victim of covid.

Did you swim through the chimney?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It was so long ago when I was living in Geneva I canít remember. I would love to go back though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pretty much any dive in Aber Las, was back there yesterday after a lay off diving Cambrian and another project.

Bit if effort to get in, but the play of light off the gas pockets, myriad of chambers, scratched tally marks, industrial detritus
    and frozen in time boot marks.

The simplicity of SM, solitude and new discoveries made for a lovely dive and miraculously bathed in sunshine on exit for a change.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Up close and personal with the Dugong in Hamata.

Mind blowing interaction, copying each others moves.

Rgds

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not my best of all time but yesterday on the Countess of Erne the best visibility I have ever seen there and a Dolphin around the boat before getting in.
    Though the dive before again had good vis off Grove point but the ghost net was distressing it doesn't look to have been down there long but has lots of dead fish, crabs and lobsters ensnared in it.
    We have reported to Ghost nets.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast