Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established TDF Member Decosnapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heinrichs Weikamp - Customer Service

I am going to share some really positive good vibes from Heinrichs Weikamp...

About 5 years ago I bought an OSTC. Charging had always been a right PITA for some reason and I blamed the human in the loop.

Over lockdown and with minimal use the battery went very low...and then refused to charge properly. I tried everything but eventually gave up and asked on the Weidkamp forum.

Plenty of advice followed...then they asked what colour charging unit I had...short answer was the wrong one.

I had been trying to charge the computer - with varying degrees of success - with the wrong charger.

Without quibbling or complaint Heinrichs sent the correct charger in the post. Yesterday the OSTC charged up for the first time without complaint.

Good service and a very happy diver.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've had great advice from them whenever I've asked.
    Also, the fact that they're still providing firmware updates for my second hand OSTC Mk2 (which must be getting on for 10 years old now) is great.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don't let anyone hear, but I prefer the interface and customisation of my OSTC over my Shearwater.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decosnapper View Post

About 5 years ago I bought an OSTC. Charging had always been a right PITA for some reason and I blamed the human in the loop.

Over lockdown and with minimal use the battery went very low...and then refused to charge properly. I tried everything but eventually gave up and asked on the Weidkamp forum.

Plenty of advice followed...then they asked what colour charging unit I had...short answer was the wrong one.

I had been trying to charge the computer - with varying degrees of success - with the wrong charger.

Without quibbling or complaint Heinrichs sent the correct charger in the post. Yesterday the OSTC charged up for the first time without complaint.

I have to say I had a similar positive experience with their customer service. I also find the app far easier now for updating the computer compared to the PC version which always took me at least 6 hours to remember how to get the OSTC to talk to the PC.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decosnapper View Post

Ooh that's interesting, I bought mine (OSTC Plus) about 2 years ago, and very much recognise the "varying degrees of success" pattern. I typically get the red LED almost immediately to start with (which goes away if left for ages), and then normally end up having to restart the whole process maybe three times to get it to 100%. Hopefully I'll find your story on their forum!
    Last edited by Neil R; 01-04-2022 at 12:33 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Neil - its all down to the colour of the PCB and exact model you have - check with them would be my recommendation.

But at first glance, your experience is very close to mine - if not identical.

The good news is the replacement charger sat there and did its thing...until 100% about 4hrs or so later.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm just amazed that you got five years of usage on one charge...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    It is an OSTC though - my 2n gets charge periodically just because I can. It seems to be able to manage 2 week's worth of diving holiday and still be at about 50% (or at least it was until they changed the firmware and put that "time on" measure of battery charge in place). 5 years is good going though!
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm on my third OSTC.

The first two died due to screen faults, this one keeps going blank in a dive.

Today was my first dive for a few months so checked everything last night including charging the OSTC. The screen didn't turn on at all during the dive today, only came back on when I plugged it into the charger when back home and it said 100%. The dive wasn't logged so didn't turn on at all during the dive.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    Not sure I did...the incorrect charger wasn't totally useless...it charged a bit when it could be bothered.

Compared to the correct charger I think it could be graded sullen and feckless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast