Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Stoney Condtions

For those of you who haven't heard, conditions in the shallows at Stoney have become absolutely diabolical. When I spoke to them a couple of days ago, the guy said that above 7m, if you stretched your arm out you would be lucky to see your hand and viz has deteriorated since then! Apparently its not too bad below that depth.

We had been planning two intensive training weekends up there with our new Ocean Divers for their fisrt open water dives. We've decided that might not be a good idea!!!

Stoney said they thought is was unlikely to improve before May.

Established TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    For those of you who haven't heard, conditions in the shallows at Stoney have become absolutely diabolical. When I spoke to them a couple of days ago, the guy said that above 7m, if you stretched your arm out you would be lucky to see your hand and viz has deteriorated since then! Apparently its not too bad below that depth.

We had been planning two intensive training weekends up there with our new Ocean Divers for their fisrt open water dives. We've decided that might not be a good idea!!!

Stoney said they thought is was unlikely to improve before May.
    They posted on Facebook about the poor vis:

"Another day at Stoney Cove...Spring has well and truly sprung but it's brought in the dreaded algal bloom. However, this time it's been made even worse by the recent Sahara dust cloud dumping sand on top. The visibility in the first 10M is dreadful, probably 1M. It's better below 12M and good at the bottom for now. Can I remind you that you may well lose contact with your buddy. If that happens please just ascend directly to the surface and rejoin your buddy, rather than fumble about looking them. Enjoy, I promise that the clear water will be back in a few weeks."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Was in there yesterday. About 2 ft viz down to 3m due to a brown layer of shite, below that it's a workable 3-4m. On the 20m shelf and pit the viz is fine. 4C though so wear your big pants.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    Was in there yesterday. About 2 ft viz down to 3m due to a brown layer of shite, below that it's a workable 3-4m. On the 20m shelf and pit the viz is fine. 4C though so wear your big pants.
    That was weekday, im guessing on the weekend that 3m gets all churned up and mixed in with the rest ?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylona View Post
    That was weekday, im guessing on the weekend that 3m gets all churned up and mixed in with the rest ?
    Nope that was Sat/Sun
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Definitely not the conditions for taking a new trainee in on their first (it would probably be their last UK) open water dive!

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Definitely not the conditions for taking a new trainee in on their first (it would probably be their last UK) open water dive!
    The 4 C water might be a bit of an issue too! TBH I had trainees in the water last week and the cold was not a huge issue - until the giant suit flood happened - the viz was mixed but not oppressively so and OK at depth. However the forecast looks awful for the next week or so...
    Last edited by Energy58; 30-03-2022 at 07:30 PM.