X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkA
    TDF Member
    • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Woz
    Right next to the idiot who designed the pocket reel. I notice there is an updated bigger version of this as well. That's right. Take a bloody awful product and make a bigger version of the same bag of shite.
    A long time ago, got a pocket reel as I didn’t like the idea of a huge reel for a dsmb. Never took it on a dive until 4 weeks ago. Didn’t like the idea that it was locked unless the button was pressed, so following the instructions removed the springs. Tied it to the dsmb and clipped it to a d ring. Must have hit the button as there was a load of line loose line at the end of the dive. Looking on the web site, it looks like the latest version has a ratchet.

Comment

• Woz
      All hail ZOM
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by MarkA
      A long time ago, got a pocket reel as I didn’t like the idea of a huge reel for a dsmb. Never took it on a dive until 4 weeks ago. Didn’t like the idea that it was locked unless the button was pressed, so following the instructions removed the springs. Tied it to the dsmb and clipped it to a d ring. Must have hit the button as there was a load of line loose line at the end of the dive. Looking on the web site, it looks like the latest version has a ratchet.
      Been using a spool for ooooooooo 15 years I reckon. Never had a problem with them. Used the Pocket Reel a few times then threw it into the bottom of my dive kit box in disgust. It's an utter bag of crap.
      I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Comment

• MarkA
        TDF Member
        • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Woz
        Been using a spool for ooooooooo 15 years I reckon. Never had a problem with them. Used the Pocket Reel a few times then threw it into the bottom of my dive kit box in disgust. It's an utter bag of crap.
        Time for an upgrade. Maybe Apeks will get some of my money. They look shiny.

Used to use a small open dsmb with 10m of loose line with a weight on the end. Got on fine with that.

Comment

• notdeadyet
          Nicotine, valium, vicodin...
          • Jan 2013

I've used these for 15 years. Dirt cheap, cheap enough you can buy 5 of them for the cost of one Apeks and have back-ups. Never had a problem with them. Other than using past about 15m is tedious when winding back in.

The line is capable of holding an object maximum weight of 80kg (176 lb) dryweight. and double ended brass boltsnap. double ended boltsnap.
          Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• Woz
            All hail ZOM
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by notdeadyet
            I've used these for 15 years. Dirt cheap, cheap enough you can buy 5 of them for the cost of one Apeks and have back-ups. Never had a problem with them. Other than using past about 15m is tedious when winding back in.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351421382139
            Get a 50m one and chop at least 5m off as they over pack them. The narrower ones are annoying to wind in as you keep catching the tips of your gloves under the windings.
            I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Comment

• Piemaster
              TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Used to use a small open dsmb with 10m of loose line with a weight on the end. Got on fine with that.
              I brought one of these from Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...6cd94637g0ZGzd look just the same as the Apeks ones but a damn site cheaper.

Comment

• Paulo
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by notdeadyet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351421382139
                You can get knockoffs of the Apeks ones for about £15 from the likes of Aliexpress. Have a few. There is nomway I am spending three figures for a piece of ali and a bit of twine

Edit: just spotted Piemaster posted the link
                If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• MarkA
                  TDF Member
                  • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Woz
                  Get a 50m one and chop at least 5m off as they over pack them. The narrower ones are annoying to wind in as you keep catching the tips of your gloves under the windings.
                  Got it. 50m spool with less line on it. Thanks

Comment

• MarkA
                    TDF Member
                    • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Piemaster
                    I brought one of these from Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...6cd94637g0ZGzd look just the same as the Apeks ones but a damn site cheaper.
                    Thanks for the link

Comment

• Woz
                      All hail ZOM
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Piemaster
                      Just be aware that the quality isn't quite the same and that swivel on the end rots off. I have a couple and they're great.

You could always buy one of those £250 Apeks reels. What were they thinking? I reckon someone at Aqualung has had a brain bleed.

Comment

Working...