Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Salt under switch ring?

Having been kept out of the water for about 2 years, I have just been going through my stored kit in preparation for restarting. It would appear that I was slightly less thorough on rinsing/cleaning my backup torch than I though, and the switch ring has completely locked up (presumably a bit of salt crystallised under it)
    Does anyone have any advice for whether/how I can get this freed up, or is it effective consigned to the scrap heap? I can toggle the on/off state (although only to the 50% setting) by wiggling a strong magnet around the right bit, and get the 100% if I hold said magnet in the right place, but that isn't really a sane way to use it!

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hopefully it's just salt rather than corrosion.
    I'd start by soaking it in fresh water for a few hour to see if it can dissolve the salt crystals.
    If that doesn't help, squirting some WD40 in there and gently wiggling it back and forth may get the corrosion shifted.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    I'd start by soaking it in fresh water for a few hour to see if it can dissolve the salt crystals.
    If that doesn't help, squirting some WD40 in there and gently wiggling it back and forth may get the corrosion shifted.
    I've had it in hot water for a couple of hours, with no joy so far
    The ring is a very tight tolerance fit (for reference it's an Aquasun D3), so I'm not entirely sure whether any liwuid is penetrating as far as whatever is causing the sticking. I'll keep soaking it, and regularly trying to shift it. Trying to get a good grip to apply some breaking force to it is proving a major hurdle.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you want to give it some force, I'd recommend a rubber strap wrench (baby boa) they spread the load around it better than mole grips.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Can you stick it in an ultrasound bath for a few hours? However, it may be corroded as the salt forms a battery cell with the metal which will result in corrosion

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Try Harpic black bleach as an acidic scale remover. Or citric acid from your local brewery shop. Or Biox if you want to be a bit more gentle.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!