Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sounds a bit complicated to me, how many bottles regs and valves do you want to keep track of?

I'm weighted to be about neutral with empty tanks on the unit in fresh, add 2kg for sea. Torch reels etc makes me slightly negative and the bail outs a bit more negative again. I can just about hold a stop with everything nearly empty - on the loop, so could drop a bit more probably if I planned for draining the loop, but it's comfortable as is.

All for redundancy but I can already use both bail outs in the loop and have ability to add a spare o2 1/1.5/3l on the unit. About only thing I don't think I could use easily (the QC is slightly different because of AP being weird) is my suit gas but if it comes to point of being that desperate to get 1.5 litre of air into the loop I think day is probably well fucked and I can just hold the pipe on.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't really use my wing much. I orally inflate if I need it for jumping off a boat. On surfacing I'll just stick a bit more air in my suit if it's calm, I'll use my wing more if it's rough or I've got a long wait to get picked up. Underwater I try not to use it much, a bit of adjustment and that's it. It doesn't, and shouldn't, make a huge difference to your dil consumption.

One thing to get used to on CCR is picking your route. If you want to cut down on dil use then try to avoid unnecessary depth changes. Swim around objects rather than over them, try to maintain a constant a depth for as long as you can. When I dived a twinset I never really bothered. I'd go up, down, wherever I wanted. On CCR you need to try to consider your dive plan and follow the contours of whatever you're diving a bit more, be a bit more systematic going round a wreck. Otherwise you can end up tearing through dil.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Sounds a bit complicated to me, how many bottles regs and valves do you want to keep track of?

I'm weighted to be about neutral with empty tanks on the unit in fresh, add 2kg for sea. Torch reels etc makes me slightly negative and the bail outs a bit more negative again. I can just about hold a stop with everything nearly empty - on the loop, so could drop a bit more probably if I planned for draining the loop, but it's comfortable as is.

All for redundancy but I can already use both bail outs in the loop and have ability to add a spare o2 1/1.5/3l on the unit. About only thing I don't think I could use easily (the QC is slightly different because of AP being weird) is my suit gas but if it comes to point of being that desperate to get 1.5 litre of air into the loop I think day is probably well fucked and I can just hold the pipe on.
    Have a look at the new AP MAVs they are standard b/c style fit and the AP 50's still go on - plus they are cheap, robust and shiny! Only issue is they don't come in black so technical divers can't use them

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by M-J-J View Post
    Have a look at the new AP MAVs they are standard b/c style fit and the AP 50's still go on - plus they are cheap, robust and shiny! Only issue is they don't come in black so technical divers can't use them
    I'm on FMCL for hydrostatic work of breathing reasons.

Previous home made MAVs (for bmcl) had normal nipples on them, was better for a few reasons, had a QC6 so I could access the on board O2 into the BOV as well . not got round to figuring out a replacement for that system yet without making loads of complicated shitfight of hoses everywhere

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I'm on FMCL for hydrostatic work of breathing reasons.

Previous home made MAVs (for bmcl) had normal nipples on them, was better for a few reasons, had a QC6 so I could access the on board O2 into the BOV as well . not got round to figuring out a replacement for that system yet without making loads of complicated shitfight of hoses everywhere
    I have screw in BC nipples for the FMCL classic button MAV's - switched to BMCL before fitting them. Sat in a draw in the garage gathering dust, more than happy to post them if you can make use just drop me a PM.

FMCL and separate remote inflators, if chest mounted, would be like going back to the original classic harness prior to trimming - hilarious to watch, not so fun to dive. The Divesoft BOV with the built in MAVs would provide another option. But it all boils down to how much expense and complication should go into ensuring all offboard gas can be accessed via the unit, would be far cheaper to get reusable AP50's on everything!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12