Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Hybrid View

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

NickPicks' PFO Treatment

After my "undeserved" spinal bend in July, I was diagnosed with a PFO in October.
    Fortunately for me, diagnosis and treatment was covered by the Bupa medical insurance I have through my employer.

I had my PFO repaired on Monday.
    In my personal timeline, the operation took no time at all - the anaesthatist said "take a couple of deep breaths on this"; "anaesthetic going in", and then I woke up in the recovery room.

All seems well so far. no problems with the entry point in the groin - just a very small wound that's healed nicely. They don't stitch it or anything, just apply a Femostop, which is a plastic dome shaped device which applies pressure on the wound for several hours afterwards.

The only side effect I'm currently having is a really sore throat and inflamed uvula. This is where they put the TOE ultrasound probe into my oesophegus (and presumably an intubation tube into my windpipe). Not a major problem, just uncomfortable.

I'm now on anti-coagulant drugs for 3 months, asprin for 6 months, and antacids for 3 months (a common side effect of the anti-coagulants is heartburn).
    I have to have a checkup (and follow up bubble echocardiogram) in 6-8 weeks.

Hopefully, I'll be allowed to dive again after 3 months.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for that update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Miss read that, an inflamed Vulva!!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylona View Post
    Miss read that, an inflamed Vulva!!!!

I always make sure I've typed that very carefuly!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Time for a "post-PFO" update:

I had another trip to Bristol to see my cardiologist again yesterday for the post closure bubble echocardiogram.
    What he wrote on my medical form is "PFO completely occluded on repeat bubble echo"
    That means I'm officially not as bendy as I was, so I'm allowed to go back to diving without restrictions!
    <happy dance>

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Time for a "post-PFO" update:

I had another trip to Bristol to see my cardiologist again yesterday for the post closure bubble echocardiogram.
    What he wrote on my medical form is "PFO completely occluded on repeat bubble echo"
    That means I'm officially not as bendy as I was, so I'm allowed to go back to diving without restrictions!
    <happy dance>
    Lucky you!

My (layman language) report three months after closure (which was local anaesthetic, not general, but that's a whole new story) read "partial closure but some bubbles still passing...". So did six months, so did nine months, so did...

Ended up with a "discussion" between the Cardiac Consultant and Dr Firth at LDC - Consultant "but there are still bubbles", Ollie Firth "yes, but it's a lot better than it was and he somehow managed 50m before the op"