Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Single cylinder with twin or double valve-advice please

I'm thinking about going back to a single cylinder/wing set up, but I'd need it to be with a twin valve so I can have 2 first stages. It's been suggested to me that I might struggle to get fills as the twin valves are unreliable. What's the TDF massive experience?
    Thanks, Sean
    Not the dodgy one, the nice one

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I put a H valve on a single. I use it to run booster so it allows me connect to the compressor and the booster at the same time.

Never dived it but it has worked fine for 2 years.

There are loads of options out there from H valves, K valves and a few others too. Much of a muchness really
    JJ wanker

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That system is used extensively in Europe especially France.
    I have dived it as one of the cylinders I used to have was that style.
    I also have one in work for when testing regs in the test rig

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Same as Paulo - I've been using one on my booster for a few years with no problems.
    Tea Boy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    And no issues getting fills?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Re filling: Whilst I suppose it's possible some muppet might object for reasons of his own making, it's no practical difference from a proper twinset - connect up and open the valve that's connected, with or without the option to daisy chain another tank via the other outlet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I run H valves and have for years. Never ever had anyone give me any grief getting a fill anywhere. Never heard from anyone that they are "unreliable". The only downside is the extra cost of the valve service that has become a part of the testing rip off. Not much in the big scale of things.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Really can't see the point on the added expense. It its a single tank dive (direct access to surface) then its single outlet appropriate. If there is no direct access then its double tank territory - if weight is an issue get some D7s ... they are much nicer to dive than a large single tank and have real redundancy.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a single 12 with a double outlet valve (basically half of an Apeks manifold). The advantage is that I can use my twinset regs on the single.

I've never had a problem gettign a fill in it, and I can't for the life of me think what reliability issues there could be (apart from the cylinder filler opening the other valve, or dropping the cylinder on it, but these are no more of an issue than a "normal" single valve or twinset)

I'm considering converting it back to a single outlet - pretty much for the reasons that Graham has raised.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean0801 View Post
    I'm thinking about going back to a single cylinder/wing set up, but I'd need it to be with a twin valve so I can have 2 first stages. It's been suggested to me that I might struggle to get fills as the twin valves are unreliable. What's the TDF massive experience?
    We have one (Y valve I think?) and we happily fill it so long as it is in test. It's great for nitrox blending too, as you can put the accurate digital pressure gauge on one outlet and fill through the other and not have to faff about with any adapters.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast