Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Builders type of question.

I am trying to drill some holes in ‘what I assumed to be brick’ over an upstairs window (to fit brackets for a curtain pole). In retrospect, there is obviously a lintel and I can’t drill into it. Even bought some new Mikita masonry drill bits and I am ruining them and getting nowhere.

The drill tips are turning black through overheating and I’ve even sacrificed a metal drill bit (not on hammer) ‘just in case’.

I have drilled slow and fast with hammer and I just can’t touch it.

Anybody got any tips or suggestions?

I am losing esteem with the little lady and have just sneaked into the kitchen to put thread lock on all the screw top jars to ensure my services are still required. I used to just tighten them but she’s got one of those jar opening widgets (curse you widget).

The house was built abt 1920s at a guess.

Is it a case of hitting it harder (with a more powerful drill)?
    Last edited by Finless; 23-01-2022 at 05:28 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This will answer ... and it is way faster to post a link rather than me typing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwt-olc4nso

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sds drill required.

Or stick a length of 4x1 timber on the wall with stixall or maximum torque adhesive. Paint it the same colour as the wall or your woodwork and it won’t look out of place. Let the adhesive cure. Fix the brackets to that.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    Sds drill required.

Or stick a length of 4x1 timber on the wall with stixall or maximum torque adhesive. Paint it the same colour as the wall or your woodwork and it won’t look out of place. Let the adhesive cure. Fix the brackets to that.
    This is the 100% solution - you can add a few "not very long" plug and screw fixings if you are worried but it isn't really a problem. In my kids' flat there are so many different wall treatments I decided that the "glue it on" fixing was the most sensible - if it works for Lotus it has got to be good enough for a curtain pole!
    Last edited by Energy58; 23-01-2022 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Grammar problems!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    This is the 100% solution - you can add a few "not very long" plug and screw fixings if you are worried but it isn't really a problem. In my kids' flat there are so many different wall treatments I decided that the "glue it on" fixing was the most sensible - if it works for Lotus it has got to be good enough for a curtain pole!
    You do know what LOTUS stands for don`t you?

Load Of Total Utter S , or Lots of trouble usually serious.

If you spend more than five seconds under one, you will know the truth of it.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you want a proper job, SDS drill and good wall plugs. Lets face it everyone wants more tools eh?

If you want a job that will probably be ok (it is hugely dependant on the substrate), use adhesive. You might find a problem though if your plaster is old or isn't very well bonded.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    Lets face it everyone wants more tools eh?
    Just hire. I had the same issue years ago, hired an SDS drill, purchased the bits. Job done in 5 mins. Right tool for the job.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I'm buying the Titan drill (OK price + comes with drill bits). SWMBO shall have curtains up at the window this very evening. Well, or a big hole in the wall?

I've had too many glue failures in the past to even consider that option but I am grateful for all replies/suggestions.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snattrass View Post
    Just hire. I had the same issue years ago, hired an SDS drill, purchased the bits. Job done in 5 mins. Right tool for the job.
    I have a few future projects that require brick drilling so I'm buying.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    That's exactly the problem I had with our house. Even with my SDS Rotary hammer, I burnt out several bits until I got some proper Kango ones from our local builders merchant rather than the ones from a DIY barn. The Kango bits did the job no trouble.

I had tried gluing a batten up in another room but the plaster (or should I say the cement substrate) is so crap that it came away and took a huge amount of plaster with it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast