Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Diving Red Sea January

Morning,
    Iíve booked a last minute live aboard to dive Elphinstine, Brothers etc. in two weeks.

My dry suit is being repaired and I donít own a wetsuit so Iím hiring a 5mm as I understand itís unlikely a 7mm will be an option.

Iíve bought a 2mm neoprene vest to wear under the wetsuit.

Will I get away with it or do I buy a 7mm? Shame to spoil the holiday if Iím going to freeze my tits off?

All advice appreciated.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russelldive View Post
    Morning,
    I’ve booked a last minute live aboard to dive Elphinstine, Brothers etc. in two weeks.

My dry suit is being repaired and I don’t own a wetsuit so I’m hiring a 5mm as I understand it’s unlikely a 7mm will be an option.

I’ve bought a 2mm neoprene vest to wear under the wetsuit.

Will I get away with it or do I buy a 7mm? Shame to spoil the holiday if I’m going to freeze my tits off?

All advice appreciated.
    Its a personal thing, I have often dived that time of year out there in a 5mm or even a 5mm shorty. what ever you go with turn it inside out and hang it up on deck so it dry's as much as possible between dives, can be a tad chilly putting a wet wetsuit on.
    ďAttitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.Ē
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think the 5mm will be fine on its own as the water temp doesn't drop that much in their winter (20C) - what I would say is make sure you have something warm to wear on deck between dives and in the evening as the wind can have a chill to it. A good hoody/sweatshirt and trackies will probably do more for feeling warm than anything else.

When I was last there in Nov 2017, there were divers in our group using everything from shorts/t-shirts to 7mm wetsuits and nobody was complaining about water temps.