Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Diving Red Sea January

Morning,
    Iíve booked a last minute live aboard to dive Elphinstine, Brothers etc. in two weeks.

My dry suit is being repaired and I donít own a wetsuit so Iím hiring a 5mm as I understand itís unlikely a 7mm will be an option.

Iíve bought a 2mm neoprene vest to wear under the wetsuit.

Will I get away with it or do I buy a 7mm? Shame to spoil the holiday if Iím going to freeze my tits off?

All advice appreciated.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russelldive View Post
    Morning,
    I’ve booked a last minute live aboard to dive Elphinstine, Brothers etc. in two weeks.

My dry suit is being repaired and I don’t own a wetsuit so I’m hiring a 5mm as I understand it’s unlikely a 7mm will be an option.

I’ve bought a 2mm neoprene vest to wear under the wetsuit.

Will I get away with it or do I buy a 7mm? Shame to spoil the holiday if I’m going to freeze my tits off?

All advice appreciated.
    Its a personal thing, I have often dived that time of year out there in a 5mm or even a 5mm shorty. what ever you go with turn it inside out and hang it up on deck so it dry's as much as possible between dives, can be a tad chilly putting a wet wetsuit on.
    ďAttitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.Ē
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think the 5mm will be fine on its own as the water temp doesn't drop that much in their winter (20C) - what I would say is make sure you have something warm to wear on deck between dives and in the evening as the wind can have a chill to it. A good hoody/sweatshirt and trackies will probably do more for feeling warm than anything else.

When I was last there in Nov 2017, there were divers in our group using everything from shorts/t-shirts to 7mm wetsuits and nobody was complaining about water temps.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The last time I dived the Red Sea, it was later December/Early January, and I wore a full length 3☺mm, and I was perfectly comfortable

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A 5mm is going to be fine unless you really feel the cold. Based on assuming that you are going to be in recreational depths and no massive deco...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Who did you book with?

I’ve got ten days off at the end of march and was wondering about a last minute liveaboard in the Red Sea (albeit travelling on my own, so may get stung With single person supplement)

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I am considering s live-aboard March/April. Going on yr own should be no problem if you do not mind sharing with someone you do not know. Done it loads of times and only had one bad cabin buddy.

5 mil suit does it for me there all winer too.