Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are PADI instructors renewing membership this yr?

Hi,

Out of interest I just wonder if PADI instructors are reviewing their membership this yr as it is that time again? If you skipped a 2nd yr of not paying would you have to participate in parts of the IDC again when/if you decided to teach again?

Merry Christmas!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Hi,

Out of interest I just wonder if PADI instructors are reviewing their membership this yr as it is that time again? If you skipped a 2nd yr of not paying would you have to participate in parts of the IDC again when/if you decided to teach again?

Merry Christmas!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

I renewed this year with great reluctance but I have taught or assisted in a few Padi courses last year and expected to do the same this year, so I thought I'd better stay in status. I had next-to-no other motivation if I'm being honest - Padi didn't give a damn about their pros during the pandemic even going so far as to undercut them, and I have outstanding questions I've sent them (HQ) from months ago that still haven't been replied to. Sadly, the organisation isn't what it once was. I'm hoping to find a decent centre to work for when we move darn sarf in a few months but most of them seem to be Padi so I might be stuck with them sadly. Perhaps they could be tempted to jump ship to SSI (who couldn't have been more helpful through the pandemic).
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

I renewed this year with great reluctance but I have taught or assisted in a few Padi courses last year and expected to do the same this year, so I thought I'd better stay in status. I had next-to-no other motivation if I'm being honest - Padi didn't give a damn about their pros during the pandemic even going so far as to undercut them, and I have outstanding questions I've sent them (HQ) from months ago that still haven't been replied to. Sadly, the organisation isn't what it once was. I'm hoping to find a decent centre to work for when we move darn sarf in a few months but most of them seem to be Padi so I might be stuck with them sadly. Perhaps they could be tempted to jump ship to SSI (who couldn't have been more helpful through the pandemic).
    I keep hearing good stuff about SSI and apart from having to teach "in centre" (which isn't actually a huge issue) can't see much downside tbh

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    I keep hearing good stuff about SSI and apart from having to teach "in centre" (which isn't actually a huge issue) can't see much downside tbh
    You have to be affiliated with a centre but how you and the centre work together can vary, so yes, it's not really a big deal. If you are ever passing Nottingham, you're welcome to come and have a chat about it with us. But yes, no downsides really!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I have noticed quite a few people I know moving away from PADI towards the like of SSI & RAID etc. I guess there is only so long you can spend being treated as the cash cow, there to be milked for every last drop they can get out of you. PADI still has the brand recognition but i an sure the others will overcome that hurdle
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    I have noticed quite a few people I know moving away from PADI towards the like of SSI & RAID etc. I guess there is only so long you can spend being treated as the cash cow, there to be milked for every last drop they can get out of you. PADI still has the brand recognition but i an sure the others will overcome that hurdle
    The brand recognition isn't as all dominating as you might think.

I just came back from spending xmas and new year in the Maldives. I dived for the first time in 5 years. Just walked up and showed them a GUE card and they said "that'll do nicely". They even had EAN32 on tap, which was nice.
    Gareth Burrows
    Having a break from teaching divers.
    www.divedir.com

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    The brand recognition isn't as all dominating as you might think.

I just came back from spending xmas and new year in the Maldives. I dived for the first time in 5 years. Just walked up and showed them a GUE card and they said "that'll do nicely". They even had EAN32 on tap, which was nice.
    Where did you dive in the Maldives please?