Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TDF dive buddies

So back int' day in the parish known as YD we used to meet up at Caperwray or stoney, occaisionally dotty and have a bimble/take newbies round/have a laugh in the interval, on a weekend. Is there any of that going on these days? i've started getting my kit together after 9 years dry and am gonna need some patient buddies to hold my hand in the next few months pandemic permitting

Cheers, Sean
    Not the dodgy one, the nice one

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sean0801 View Post
    So back int' day in the parish known as YD we used to meet up at Caperwray or stoney, occaisionally dotty and have a bimble/take newbies round/have a laugh in the interval, on a weekend. Is there any of that going on these days? i've started getting my kit together after 9 years dry and am gonna need some patient buddies to hold my hand in the next few months pandemic permitting

Cheers, Sean
    Hi Sean,

I think there's very little of that kind of generosity and mentoring these days. I noticed a change after the 2008 financial crash or thereabouts. I put this down to people having less money to spare so less diving and wanting to get best bang for buck out of their diving. I've not seen a forum based dive trip organised for some years. Many have left YD/TDF for Facebook, which does not have the same sense of community to me, but there's generally less aggro too. A fair few on FB have stopped diving too.

Sadly, the Ribble Valley is a bit far from my neck of the woods. There's usually a handful of our club members up for shoredives (current conditions excepted) late afternoons and weekends.

Adrian
    Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Hi Sean,

I think there's very little of that kind of generosity and mentoring these days. I noticed a change after the 2008 financial crash or thereabouts. I put this down to people having less money to spare so less diving and wanting to get best bang for buck out of their diving. I've not seen a forum based dive trip organised for some years. Many have left YD/TDF for Facebook, which does not have the same sense of community to me, but there's generally less aggro too. A fair few on FB have stopped diving too.

Sadly, the Ribble Valley is a bit far from my neck of the woods. There's usually a handful of our club members up for shoredives (current conditions excepted) late afternoons and weekends.

Adrian
    +1

Sadly Adrian's comments are very true.
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Hi Sean,

Adrian
    That's a bit of a shame really, i once took a 13 year lad on his first dive after he qualified OW, i'd turned up with the usual YD crew and Adam asked me if i'd mind taking one of his pupils round. Since enough people had done the same for me when i qualified i didnt think twice about saying yes

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's a bit of a shame really, i once took a 13 year lad on his first dive after he qualified OW, i'd turned up with the usual YD crew and Adam asked me if i'd mind taking one of his pupils round. Since enough people had done the same for me when i qualified i didnt think twice about saying yes
    Yes, a big shame. Most of my diving is now in club from a RIB, whereas 10-15 years ago it was 50/50 with a much greater range of events and buddies. I enjoy RIB diving and doing our own thing, but I also miss hardboats, lifts, banter and hot drinks. And maybe an ale or two if an overnighter.

I doubt we'll see a return to such trips as Scapa Virgins and other similar gigs. Dive kit seems to be getting more expensive, boats certainly so (can't blame them, they have to make a living too). COVID will be a nail in the coffin for some and lots of LDS have already permanently gone over the last 10 years. clubs membership is getting older, fewer younger people see past the initial expense and time (again, who can blame the given housing costs these days) and it just becomes something to do every now and again on a foreign warm water holiday.
    Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Our Club has had considerable success in promoting diving as a family activity and something exciting that parents can share with their teenage kids. We had 22 trainees across OD/SD/DL. Unfortunately, due to the impact of Covid, we started 2020 expecting to have three instructors and three assistant instructors and ended up with just one instructor - me! I managed to certify 6 OD's and 6 SD's and got a fair way through the training for most of the others. It got to the crazy situation that I had 18 trips to Stoney last year, 11 in September alone. I used to turn up at Stoney and instead of checking my details, they greeted me by name.

We still have a waiting list for try-dives and OD training. I just hope I have enough stamina to manage once lockdown is lifted.I just hope that BSAC restart their instructor training shortly so that I can get some help.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Our Club has had considerable success in promoting diving as a family activity and something exciting that parents can share with their teenage kids. We had 22 trainees across OD/SD/DL. Unfortunately, due to the impact of Covid, we started 2020 expecting to have three instructors and three assistant instructors and ended up with just one instructor - me! I managed to certify 6 OD's and 6 SD's and got a fair way through the training for most of the others. It got to the crazy situation that I had 18 trips to Stoney last year, 11 in September alone. I used to turn up at Stoney and instead of checking my details, they greeted me by name.

We still have a waiting list for try-dives and OD training. I just hope I have enough stamina to manage once lockdown is lifted.I just hope that BSAC restart their instructor training shortly so that I can get some help.
    Once we get the go ahead to dive, ask your regional coach for assistance. I don’t want to hear of you burnt out and turned off instructing.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    My club have a forum for doing this kind of stuff but it's on Facebook nowadays. Also, we're quite a way from you, but you're welcome to drop us a line. There's no shortage of people who'd be happy to get involved.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We're kind of in your area (based in Preston) and welcome others.
    Most things are organised through a private WhatsApp group but our Facebook page often has details too.

What with the covidity of 2020 and 2021 we've not done so much but we did manage a fair bit in the Lake District last summer as well as a few hard boats too.

Check out Just a Bunch Of Divers here https://www.facebook.com/JBODPreston and here https://www.justabunchofdivers.org/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    We're kind of in your area (based in Preston) and welcome others.
    Most things are organised through a private WhatsApp group but our Facebook page often has details too.

What with the covidity of 2020 and 2021 we've not done so much but we did manage a fair bit in the Lake District last summer as well as a few hard boats too.

Check out Just a Bunch Of Divers here https://www.facebook.com/JBODPreston and here https://www.justabunchofdivers.org/
    I did try a few clubs before i found YD, one was SAA and 2 BSAC. Its fair to say i didn't really get on well with the club mentallity. They all basically said that because i was PADI trained i was going to kill them and/or myself and would need to retrain. I would need to find a club that has a very laid back attitude to hierarchy and not very preachy, are there any like that or was i just unlucky?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast