Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

NAS - Network Attached Storage options

Just wondering what people consider to be the best NAS options out there at the moment as my WD MyCloud device is one of the ones on the chopping board as they are not going to upgrade the firmware on it and it will cease to be supported next year. The WD has served me well but time is up for it. It looks like it will still operate but with limited functionality (no cloud access) and no firmware updates.

Not wanting to spend a huge amount but wanting something that will last.

The requirements are pretty simple - 4GB storage (enough for my PC, SWMBO, and mobile devices), ability to sync mobile devices (if possible). I am not really bothered about media server stuff as I reckon it would not be used much (I haven't used it up to now).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    From what you've listed it sounds lore like cloud storage (like a free 5GB NextCloud account) could do you.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For your use case, just get dropbox. I think the free version is 2gb, but the entry level paid version is 2,000gb. Other options available too.

For a proper NAS, look at Synology. The 'j' series, like 220J are fine for file serving. the '+' models are better if you're using them for cctv & multiple streams etc.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a Synology 220j. I'm running it with mirrored 2TB disks, although I think it'll manage upto 2 x 8TB. It works perfectly for file storage and I do use it as a media server for musi and video (although not so much now I have netflix & spotify)
    I found it easy to set up, you can assign users their own "home" folder that only they can see, and also shared folders that selected users can access.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a Synology which is quite old and has a few minor niggles, but have been very pleased with my newer D-Link DNS-327L in which I have 2 x 2TB disks.
    Has just sat there and worked.
    You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for the real world info.

I have discounted WD from my list of possibles given their current behaviour (obsoleting the current drive with discounts only on far higher spec and more expensive options). I can strip the disk from it to save money on the replacement unit.

Sounds like the Synology is probably the option to go for. The D-link appears to have hit end of life and looking at their website is not being replaced with another NAS.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for Synology! I have a DS218play with 2 x 4Tb Seagate IronWolfs and it works very nicely. Top tip though - keep it really simple. Synology have about 1 million apps etc that you can use. Currently, I use almost none of them; just don't need to! Also, don't forget to consider a UPS to protect the NAS from power dropouts (my little UPS interfaces with the NAS and will shut it down if the UPS battery is running out. It has enough power for the NAS to run for about 45mins. It's over 2 hours if the NAS is asleep but it isn't, as it wakes up to email me/notify me to say the power has failed! They missed that on the design spec I suspect!).
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have used QNAP, Synology, DLink, Buffalo and WD in various jobs, and when it was time to buy for home I got a Synology.

I picked up a 4 bay one to allow for expansion after the original mirrored 2 drives filled up.
    It is also now being used as the storage for CCTV as well as standard NAS storage.