Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Ice Diving

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ice Diving

Hi,
    I am thinking of doing the PADI Ice Diving course ( or another certification body).
    I have seen the Russian White Sea option but I wondered if anyone could advise if itís worth doing and also any other potential countries or destinations and reputable travel companies.
    Many Thanks
    Russell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My friend runs courses in lake Baikal. https://abyss-uwe.com/expedition-und...baikal-russia/ Personally I like the idea as it is a lake I find very interesting. The ice aspect to me is neither here nor there.

Recreational ice courses are (very much IMPO) a load of rubbish. Some are just plain dangerous. Nearly all sell the idea of the ice as the attraction. Ice is pretty and you can blow bubbles under it for 10 minutes and then you will be bored. They tie a rope to you so when you drown they can pull you out - the common term is "dope on a rope".

There are a number of operators that dive Lac Annecy and do "experience" dives that are a whole lot cheaper and let you see if you are still keen after the 10 minute bubble blowing. https://www.activ-annecy.com/activit...diving-annecy/ OK you have to get there but the cost is a bit different.

If you can borrow a copy to read have a look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ice-Diving-.../dp/0878148434 Probably not worth the cost unless it is really an area you want to research. Walt is not big on the recreational courses.

We used to dive the lake when it was iced up when I lived in Luxembourg. Blowing bubbles in the sunshine is fun for 10 minutes, otherwise it is the same dead tree you dived in the summer.

In summation it is like any other dive - if there is something amazing to see (as opposed to ice) it will be worth it and the ice overhead environment is an additional problem to overcome. Do not expect the recreational level course to equip you properly to overcome that obstacle.
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We did it at Tignes while there on a skiing trip. Despite having some diving experience, what we got wasn't exactly a dive - as I understand it this is how the French do a 'try dive' - you just have to remember to breathe as your companion is right in front of you, doing all the finning and looking after the buoyancy. On a sunny day, blowing bubbles is indeed fun and it was very pretty; we thought it was totally worth doing. Not much to see in the lake though :-)

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I did it years ago in Kirkenes in Norway, was a brilliant trip, learnt to ice dive on a frozen fjord and then went diving in the Barents Sea with king crabs..Company was called XO holidays, don't know if still going

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've been ice diving a couple of times at Chamrousse. There's a bit of a novelty effect to it but nothing really to write home about.

Back in the UK, Ah Now..... NeilB's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A couple of my diving buddies did it from Geneva. You walk up to the lake at the top of the hill, have your dive and then toboggan back down. All your gear is taken up by snowcat. Have a look at https://www.facebook.com/events/3264.../?ref=newsfeed
    Know many, trust few, hurt none.