Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question cracked glass oven top - dangerous?

So the glass over the hob on our 'new' (more than 12 years old) electric oven has cracked across one corner, going right over the front left ring. I decided it was prudent to stop using that one in case I spilled liquids through it which seemed like it would be a bad thing, but is it still safe to continue using the other 3 rings? Is the glass likely to explode outwards and hack me to pieces? Is electrocution more or less likely than the electric shower which has suddenly developed a leak from its main body? A replacement panel looks to be about 100 and it's not clear how you'd get it to pieces anyway.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If it's a gap which would let water through and properly protected with a circuit breaker I would think it would just cut out should you let your spuds boil over, if it's just a crack I wouldn't think much water would pass through though it would be best to get advice from a qualified sparky rather than me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Oh and if you contact the maker of your shower and describe the leak they will probably be able to tell you what part is required to fix it, most manufacturers are very helpful.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Apparently it's as cheap to buy a new shower as to replace it, the joys of living in a very hard water area!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Water venting from the bottom of the shower, is a fail safe; shower is junk.
    Replace.
    B&Q, Screwfix, you will get a choice for 60~

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    >>snip<< Is electrocution more or less likely than the electric shower which has suddenly developed a leak from its main body?>>snip<<
    Is the shower heating body leaking from a soldered joint, split or a small diameter pipe on the heater body/canister? If the former swop the whole unit. If the latter find the manufacturer and buy a few 'Overpressure' caps for your shower, replace the hose and spray head, preferably one with a swivel before putting a new overpressure cap on. (ex-neighbours daughter was always twisting the hose and blowing the OP cap on their electric shower.)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Shower is def scrap, we go through one every 3 years or so and were going through a head a year until we put in a trap for the scale. More worried about the oven, as that's a new experience