Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I am wondering if it is worth the hassle. I have to fit a table and another window as well as the stickers. All I seem to gain is an extra ten miles an hour and, possibly slightly cheaper insurance.
    There is also the advantages of just looking like another white van. I can drive past your house without ducking.
    I have some friends who have done a VW Crafter panel van conversion. They need windows, a table and some wanky graphics down the side to reclassify it.
    My V6 Navara is over the dual purpose weight but in 5 years of driving it I've never had a problem with class speeding. YMMV.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    If you strap an Italian's arms to their sides, they can't speak! Never stand close to an Italian when he's talking or even worse when he's driving. I remember being driven by our manager out in Italy and talking to him when he was driving resulted in him taking both hands off the wheel to gesticulate!
    Mate married a girl of Italian heritage... He learn sufficien Italian to give part of his speech in Italian - complete with arm movements!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    I think this may come down to the van's stated weight rather than any modifications to make it dual purpose or a camper.
    And how are you measuring your speed? Speedo or sat nav? Despite all the urban myths no-one is chasing you for doing 1mph over the limit. Drive to your sat nav speed indication and you'll have no worries and will still be overtaking most motorists.
    Depends on what the Registration Doc indicates - CDV (Car Derived Van) = speed limits as per car; Without that indication 'tis lower.

See https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My van is registered as commercial and it's weight means that it is limited to 50 on singles carriageways and 60 on duals. That's why I was wondering if the cameras can tell the difference.
    Once I have finished putting in all the bits that the DVLC want, I will attempt to get it re-registered as a campervan. Apparently this is not easy to do nowadays.
    if you cant get it as a camper (very difficult now) look up the specs for Dual Purpose Vehicle, - rear seats and windows, 2 T empty weight, which allows car speed limits

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w View Post
    if you cant get it as a camper (very difficult now) look up the specs for Dual Purpose Vehicle, - rear seats and windows, 2 T empty weight, which allows car speed limits
    Unfortunately this would be impractical for my needs.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Unfortunately this would be impractical for my needs.
    You need this:

We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123