Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CO2 Blob?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    What if you are not on OC?
    I always used to use a squirt from my rich bale out gas.

Graham

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    I always used to use a squirt from my rich bale out gas.

Graham
    Blowgun on suit inflate air

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    How long ago was that? - they're £147 for 300 now (at discountcream.co.uk or co2cartridges)
    A while, bought so many they've lasted ages!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BcDiver View Post
    Blowgun on suit inflate air
    I used the reg from my rich bale out gas this was normally 50%. in either a 7 or ally 80.

Graham.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Single use CO2 canisters ... not very environmentally friendly ... whats wrong with all the gas youre breathing out?
    Lol
    Are they not for emergency use . Its not like your using one for every dive .

Divers being green ffs.
    Last edited by gobfish1; 27-10-2021 at 04:10 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have used the Kent Tooling ones for a while and quite like them. If I'm closed circuit they're my DSMB of choice as wasting bailout seems silly to me but if I'm OC, which means I'm pretty shallow, I'll use an old-fashioned DSMB and blow it up with my exhaled gas.

As others have said, buy spare mechanisms as they fail. A lot. Don't undo the cylinder underwater unless you really have to and that will help protect the mechanism. The last one I bought came with some quite detailed care instructions (most of which I've forgotten).

Buy cylinders from catering companies rather than diving companies and/or cycling companies as they're much more reasonable. Also, buy in bulk. Occasionally a cylinder will fail to fire.

To satisfy my green credentials I always bring used cylinders home to be recycled. It's not that green but better than chucking them in a bin. I try not to worry about the loss of the captured CO2.

My only gripes are:
    1. my old DSMB developed a hole where it rubbed on the mechanism in my pocket. I fixed it with some duct tape so it holds air albeit not as firm as a new one
    2. the bungee on the new DSMB fell off so I replaced it with a loop of bungee through the D ring.
    3. the mechanism is a type 2 whereas there was an incompatible type 3 supplied by the chap that had his warehouse burn down a while back. I now have a couple of serviceable DSMBs without mechanisms.
    Last edited by witchieblackcat; 27-10-2021 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    What if you are not on OC?
    You don't vent at all - even on ccr? Seems pretty unlikely

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    I have used the Kent Tooling ones for a while and quite like them. If I'm closed circuit they're my DSMB of choice as wasting bailout seems silly to me but if I'm OC, which means I'm pretty shallow, I'll use an old-fashioned DSMB and blow it up with my exhaled gas.

As others have said, buy spare mechanisms as they fail. A lot. Don't undo the cylinder underwater unless you really have to and that will help protect the mechanism. The last one I bought came with some quite detailed care instructions (most of which I've forgotten).

Buy cylinders from catering companies rather than diving companies and/or cycling companies as they're much more reasonable. Also, buy in bulk. Occasionally a cylinder will fail to fire.

To satisfy my green credentials I always bring used cylinders home to be recycled. It's not that green but better than chucking them in a bin. I try not to worry about the loss of the captured CO2.

My only gripes are:
    1. my old DSMB developed a hole where it rubbed on the mechanism in my pocket. I fixed it with some duct tape so it holds air albeit not as firm as a new one
    2. the bungee on the new DSMB fell off so I replaced it with a loop of bungee through the D ring.
    3. the mechanism is a type 2 whereas there was an incompatible type 3 supplied by the chap that had his warehouse burn down a while back. I now have a couple of serviceable DSMBs without mechanisms.
    What a lot of words to support your needless waste of resources!

I have a CO2 blob (as backup) and I clean and check the mechanism (they are shit and will fail) and I fire it once or twice a year to confirm it works. It also has LP fill just in case. The last time it was used my backup by necessity was in 2015 (the day after I collected it from Aquatec) and since then it is mostly a maintained pocket object (now the Aqua elevation version).

For dives where I expect to deploy an SMB my crack bottle is used. This is filled from the same source as the suit bottle and I fail to see why any alternative is actually better!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    You don't vent at all - even on ccr? Seems pretty unlikely
    Hot air is never is short supply in the diving world but for sending an SMB from depth I'd rather let compressed air do the work... and provide me with a lift from the seabed so I can keep the middle-sized bubbles in sight until the SMB hits the surface and I have to start winding <yawn>.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Handy hint- push a blob of silicone grease into the hole before you screw the cartridge in. Then when you fire it, the grease gets spattered over the internal mechanism. Never had to change one yet.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast