Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car headlights.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    v90 headlights are nearly a grand each according to local accident repair shop.
    ffs

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A few years ago MesDragon was advised that the headlights of her Ford Fusion (yes, I know) were so cloudy that they were close to being an MOT failure. I polished them with toothpaste on a cloth in 2019 and with fine grinding paste and a Dremel in 2020 but was basically told not to bother wasting my time doing it again. So this year I replaced them with a pair bought from Ebay for 98. I also had to replace the rear lamp holders at 34 each side. All were brand new and probably half the current value of the car!
    The artiste formerly known as Spacehopper

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
    A few years ago MesDragon was advised that the headlights of her Ford Fusion (yes, I know) were so cloudy that they were close to being an MOT failure. I polished them with toothpaste on a cloth in 2019 and with fine grinding paste and a Dremel in 2020 but was basically told not to bother wasting my time doing it again. So this year I replaced them with a pair bought from Ebay for 98. I also had to replace the rear lamp holders at 34 each side. All were brand new and probably half the current value of the car!
    You need to start polishing well before they get really cloudy and do it regularly (at least every 3 months) - I use a very fine paint restoration compound. Obviously there is a limit but if you keep on top of it it will work for years. I have also seen people refurb really bad lights with fine abrasives - finish with 600 grade horizontally and overspray with a couple of coats of clear coat spray and polish. But I have no idea how long it will last

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    See if you can check what voltage you're getting at the headlights. For the VW's, there's a cheap harness mod that ensures you get max voltage at the bulb (lamp, whatever). It's incredible how standard wiring can be so inefficient.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    See if you can check what voltage you're getting at the headlights. For the VW's, there's a cheap harness mod that ensures you get max voltage at the bulb (lamp, whatever). It's incredible how standard wiring can be so inefficient.
    And 'Night breaker' (or similar) bulbs are worth the investment.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Oh, yes, I'd forgotten about this.
    On my 1990s Audi, with the engine running, I had 14v at the battery, but only 11v at the lights. wiring a pair of relays to switch power to the lamps made a great improvement. Beware if your car has lamp failure warnings though, as the current to the lights won't be the 110W it's expecting, so will think a bulb has failed.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Oh, yes, I'd forgotten about this.
    On my 1990s Audi, with the engine running, I had 14v at the battery, but only 11v at the lights. wiring a pair of relays to switch power to the lamps made a great improvement. Beware if your car has lamp failure warnings though, as the current to the lights won't be the 110W it's expecting, so will think a bulb has failed.
    Is this still a thing?
    I did this with my first car, an 11year old Mk1 Scirrocco, thirty years ago.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is this still a thing?
    Our 2012 Tiguan has really good lights so I guess it's just the older ones. You also need to disconnect the 'dim-dip' resistor. A mechanic found this disconnected when checking the van over prior to an MOT. Reconnecting it nearly got us a fail. I made sure it couldn't be done again.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is this still a thing?
    I think my 1989 Audi Coupe had the same light switch as a 1980s Scirocco. All the current going through the switch, leading to voltage drop and switch burn out.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12